Author Topic: Country Homes (Estates) of British Royals  (Read 95493 times)

Offline Duke of New Jersey

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Sandringham
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2007, 05:32:51 PM »
Can someone break down by month where HM The Queen lives?

Ex. Jan=Sandringham
      March=Windsor e.t.c

-Duke of NJ

Offline Janet

• Boyar
  • There is nothing like a Dame ... of the Thistle
    • View Profile
Re: Sandringham
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2007, 11:24:03 AM »
Can someone break down by month where HM The Queen lives?

Ex. Jan=Sandringham
      March=Windsor e.t.c

-Duke of NJ

As a general rule, I think it goes something like this:

Sandringham:  mid-December - early February
Balmoral: August and September
Holyrood: One or two weeks in July
Windsor: Easter (2-3 weeks?) and part of June for Garter and Ascot.  Also weekends (Friday afternoon - Monday afternoon) when in London during the week .
Buckingham Palace:  the balance. 

Leuchtenberg

Bagshot Park
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2007, 04:51:27 PM »
I've just been reading about the house and had not realized how enormous the place is.   I am surprised that The Queen allowed her son to take it on and sink money on getting up to standards as a decent residence.  The upkeep on it has to be a huge drain financially.

http://www.bagshotvillage.org.uk/bpark/index.shtml

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Bagshot Park
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2007, 05:10:29 PM »
Here's a history of it from Wikipedia:

The original Bagshot Lodge was built 1631-33 as one of a series of small lodges designed for King Charles I by Inigo Jones. It was remodelled to designs of James Paine for the 3rd Earl of Albemarle, 1766-72, and altered in 1798 by Sir John Soane[4] for William Duke of Clarence (later King William IV), who lived there till 1816.

Bagshot Park was subsequently used by Prince William Frederick, Duke of Gloucester, nephew of King George III. The duke added pieces of property between the estate and Sunningdale; his widow, Princess Mary, daughter of King George III, continued to live there after his death until she moved out in 1847.The original house was demolished in 1877-78.

A new building was completed in 1879: it has 120 rooms. The 1881 census records an equerry and 26 servants living in the main house: an under butler, a housekeeper, 4 valets, 2 lady's maids, 2 dressers, a cook, 3 kitchen maids, 3 housemaids, 3 footmen, a page, a porter, a scullery maid, two other junior posts and a soldier. A coachman and 7 grooms lived in the stables. Two other domestic staff lived in one of the lodges, 3 agricultural workers lived in another, and one gardener is recorded as living on the estate.This was the principal residence of the Duke of Connaught, son of Queen Victoria, from 1880. The duke had a long and successful military career, rising to become Inspector-General of the Forces. He was subsequently Governor-General of Canada 1911-1916. The Duke of Connaught died at Bagshot Park in 1942.

The house was thereafter the regimental Headquarters and depot of the Royal Army Chaplains' Department, who famously placed a notice by the pond reading "Do not walk on the water". They in turn vacated the building shortly before the Earl of Wessex took over the tenancy from the Crown.

Although the house was criticised by the architectural historian Sir Nikolaus Pevsner for being ugly, Bagshot Park was the most adventurous royal house to be created since the death of the Prince Consort in 1861, and is a remarkable monument in the history of Indian taste in Britain. An Indian billiard room wing, which inspired the more famous Durbar Room at Osborne House, was prefabricated in India and installed in the 1880s, the result of the Duke of Connaught's Indian tour, when the Duke met Lockwood Kipling and asked him to design a billiard room in Indian taste. The craftsmen who assembled and installed the room at Bagshot were housed in a tent in the grounds.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2007, 05:12:34 PM »
c.1880

present day

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I am he, who will bell the cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2007, 04:21:56 PM »
I think it's a very ugly house! ;D
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow. (Mark Twain)

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2007, 04:39:19 PM »
Ugly or not, it was also the Ardent offices.  Now that is defunct, just what are they doing with all that space? Seems a waste of resources if nothing else.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Duke of New Jersey

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2007, 05:46:24 PM »
They have SO many nice palaces to live in.  I don't understand why they go hunting for these "country houses." 

-Duke of NJ

Offline Keith

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2007, 06:13:03 PM »
Possibly as someplace to get away from it all.

I'm not sure what palaces they would have to choose from to live in. BP or Windsor, I'm sure like most of us they don't want to be living with the folks, and possibly the folks don't want them living with them either. Kensington Palace, aren't the royals gradually being moved out of that, or is that just the "lesser" royals. Not sure about St. James Palace, but wouldn't that be pretty much their choices of palaces?

Being a fan of the Connaughts, if I were them I'd have jumped at the oppurtunity to live there.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2007, 01:21:37 PM »
Apparently, prior to getting married, Arthur fell out of a window and landed on a policeman. Does anyone have any more information on this? Such a bizarre story!
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Tdora1

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2007, 01:53:59 PM »
I've always thought it would be a good idea for one of the RF to take up residence at Holyroodhouse. HM stays there annually for what - 4 days? It's barely a royal residence in actuality and then only by tradition and symbolism re the unification (although always listed as an official one of course) and I think it would be rather good politics and especially good history and a very very interesting place to live.
Edinburgh is such a lively, thriving city. I'd recommend any visitor to the UK to head north to Durham and then Edinburgh asap (and I'm not Scots, although my husband is and we live in the SW of England). I'd have thought it would make a great base for a media business, especially given the number of production companies there, but then business acumen doesn't ever seemed to have played a major part in Ardent's sorry history...

I think I read somewhere that a couple of years ago  Princess Anne was rumoured to being considering it but have heard nothing more since.

The remake of Sandringham by Bertie lead it to be compared to a 'Scots golf hotel' - Bagshot looks like Golf HQ in that case  :-X
Acts of injustice done
Between the setting and the rising sun
In history lie like bones, each one.

W.H. Auden The Ascent of F6

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2007, 06:05:30 AM »
I love the look of Sandringham, and I don't mind the look of Bagshot Park either from what I have seen of it. There aren't that many  (or maybe there are none) ''Royal Palaces'' that Prince Edward could live in with his wife and daughter alone actually. They needed their own Royal Residence, and if they love Bagshot Park, then they should live there.
His Royal Highness Prince Albert Victor Christian Edward of Wales, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, Earl of Athlone, Knight of The Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight of The Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick

Offline Tdora1

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2007, 06:54:23 PM »
Bagshot qualifies as a resurrected royal residence - but as palace? No - I think a monarch needs to have had their official court there for it to qualify as a palace. There are numerous royal residences - extant and otherwise - around the UK. Bagshot is not one of the more distinguished, either by its architecture or by its heritage.
Acts of injustice done
Between the setting and the rising sun
In history lie like bones, each one.

W.H. Auden The Ascent of F6

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2007, 10:30:46 PM »
Apparently, prior to getting married, Arthur fell out of a window and landed on a policeman. Does anyone have any more information on this? Such a bizarre story!

I've heard that story before. It's used to illustrate what someone described as the absent-mindedness of QV's children. Apparently they could lose track in the middle of a conversation as well. Of course, Prince Arthur accidentally shot out his brother-in-law Christian's eye as well.

Prince Arthur's relationship with his brother Edward VII wasn't always a smooth one but he was very close to his nephew George V--as was Prince Arthur Jr who married George's niece. He remained a very popular relative through the next generation and was a popular choice as a godfather. He died only a few years before Prince Charles was born but Prince William has Arthur as one of his middle names.

Were it not for the fact that the Connaught Dukedom is an Irish one, I wouldn't have been surprised if it would've come back into use.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 10:37:11 PM by grandduchessella »

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2007, 03:30:14 AM »

I've heard that story before. It's used to illustrate what someone described as the absent-mindedness of QV's children.

That's true Gd Ella. Apparently Beatrice would walk of mid conversation or appear not to be listening.

Funny story though - the policeman must of had a shock!! :o ;D
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.