Author Topic: Princess Louise,Princess Royal, Duchess of Fife  (Read 139604 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Princess Louise,Princess Royal, Duchess of Fife
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2006, 06:45:29 PM »
Here's Louise, in the front row, at GV's coronation:

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2006, 07:19:58 PM »
The picture of Louise and her daughters...I find it interesting!

The younger daughter is wearing curly "fringe" up swept hair like her mother and and the older daughter is wearing longer hair.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

alixaannencova

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2006, 12:24:13 PM »
Tampabay. I know it sounds silly, but in those days didn't they have some strange obsession with hair and illness. If someone was ill or recovering from a ailment I think they tended to wear their hair down like Alexandra in 1867 after Louise's birth and the Rheumatic fever episode or as in the case of OTMA ans Alexai have it shaved off.

Perhaps Alix had been ill too, though she looks OK in the picture I'll grant you. Just a thought.

Grandduchessella I think Louise's absence from the photographs really perculiar. The mother of the bride, not included, extraordinary. It cannot just be an editorial oversight, she was the Princess Royal for heavens sake! I'm beginning to wonder whether the the press had order from on high or something!

Thankyou Keith for the piccies! Isn't if funny, that even though you cannot really make out Louise's face, it is easy to see which one she is!

Offline Keith

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2006, 07:07:50 PM »
You're welcome. I'm sorry it didn't come out as clear as it is in the book.

Offline Taren

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • The Chick Manifesto
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2006, 07:24:34 PM »
Tampabay. I know it sounds silly, but in those days didn't they have some strange obsession with hair and illness. If someone was ill or recovering from a ailment I think they tended to wear their hair down like Alexandra in 1867 after Louise's birth and the Rheumatic fever episode or as in the case of OTMA ans Alexai have it shaved off.

Perhaps Alix had been ill too, though she looks OK in the picture I'll grant you. Just a thought.

Judging from the two pictures of the girls when they were very young on page two (the ones with their grandparents), the photos seem to have been taken at different times. So unless there were two illnesses, maybe it was just preference? Which is odd, considering how most sisters not only dressed alike, but were styled alike back then.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2006, 07:47:26 PM »
I don't think Maud's wearing her hair up--that was usually done arund the 'coming out' period, wasn't it? I think, based on other photos of her, that she has her hair pulled back in a thick braid. She had very bushy hair, unlike Alexandra, it probably was too unruly to just wear loosely. You always see hers down until she hits a certain age, then she has it swept up--and it looks very lovely. I think Alexandra was one of the loveliest princesses of her day. She and Arthur seem to have been very happy together--and considering they came from 2 of the more stable and 'normal' of royal clans, it's unfortunate that Alastair ended up with so many problems.

Offline Keith

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2006, 10:44:42 AM »
That was one of a series of pictures taken that day with various members of the RF. I was looking through my other pictures to see if there were any of her in profile, to see if it was just short, or in a braid. I think gdella is right, that it was curly and unruly and probably easier to keep in a braid.

Balmoral 1906. Maud is next to QA and it looks the same

I would think this is sometime either 1908 or 09, and her hair down does seem a bit on the wild side.

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2006, 04:56:43 PM »
The hair styling methods popular at the time, such as use of heated curling tongs, were perhaps responsible for a frizzy look like this too.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2006, 10:34:19 PM »
In Maud's case, her hair seems to have naturally been that way. She had curly, bushy hair even as a toddler--worn for a period as a short mop.

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2006, 07:13:02 AM »

Louise and daughters 1904

This is the photo I was referring to.  Younger child has her hair up and older child has her hair down.  I find it very interesting.

It seems Alexandra should have her hair up.  How old is Alexnadra in this photo?

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Keith

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2006, 08:05:45 AM »
Alexandra would be 13 in this picture and Maud 11. I don't think Maud's hair is up. Either cut short, or in a braid. I think gdella had it right, that hair being worn up wasn't done until coming out, or confirmation. I've heard both. The later picture with all 3 Fife women in white, her hair is down and she would have been around 15-16 years old in that photo.

alixaannencova

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2006, 02:18:22 AM »
I wish we could find portrait piccies of Louise in her coronation robes. From what I gather even the RA don't have any proper ones from EVII's or George V's of Louise. Very odd!!!

Also, I have noticed in wonder at how slim Louise was! I know corsets helped, but looking at the photo of her and the girls in white, when she must have about forty two, she has a handspan waistline! I knowQueen Maud was the one obsessed with her figure, but Louise probably had a thing about her weight too, by the looks of things!

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2006, 03:49:06 AM »
Maybe they were both naturally thin. I think this was the case. I have seen a photo of Toria's coronation robes at her father's coronation, but none of Louise unfortunately.
His Royal Highness Prince Albert Victor Christian Edward of Wales, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, Earl of Athlone, Knight of The Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight of The Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick

alixaannencova

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2006, 06:29:54 AM »
Funny you saying that Basilforvever as I was thinking about them being 'naturally' thin as I was writing!

Christian IX was a beanpole and QLouise was slender, as were all their children! It probably was a gene thing!

I didn't realise Arthur, Duke of Connaught was so short! In the Balmoral group he doesn't look much taller than Louise or George!

I wonder why Macduff and Louise were so against Alix marrying Christopher of Greece. He seemed such a thoroughly nice young man with impeccable credentials. I'm sure Queen Alexandra would have approved of such a match!

Yes I too have seen Toria and Maud's coronation robes, the former's on a website about the auction of her and QA's clothes! Can't believe they were sold off like that!! At least Maud's wardrobe is preserved and well worth seeing!

Perhaps Louise's glad rags are packed away in the attics at Elsick or Kinnaird. I know it may sound ghoulish but I think seeing their last wills would reveal a great deal about their characters. I've been thinking about trying to see if I can find Macduff's. The others are all probably still 'For Family Eyes Only.'

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2006, 06:44:12 AM »
How on earth would you go about finding their last wills? ???

That is the same place where I saw Toria's coronation robes and her coronation crown - on that Victoriana website where it shows a list of an auction of royal stuff. I was shocked that coronation robes of a daughter of the King would be up for auction!
His Royal Highness Prince Albert Victor Christian Edward of Wales, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, Earl of Athlone, Knight of The Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight of The Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick