Author Topic: Princess Louise,Princess Royal, Duchess of Fife  (Read 139067 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Princess Louise,Princess Royal, Duchess of Fife
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2007, 04:18:30 PM »
I put the guest information in post #105, the one with their wedding photo. Attending were Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood (Princess Royal) and the Duchess of Gloucester.

The joint staement issued at the time of their separation said only that they were separating and, per agreement, 'no further statements' would be issued.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 01, 2007, 07:25:22 AM »
Which Fife lady is this wearing the Fife tiara? Is it the former Caroline Bunting, wife of the present Earl of Southesk and Macduff?
His Royal Highness Prince Albert Victor Christian Edward of Wales, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, Earl of Athlone, Knight of The Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight of The Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick

alixaannencova

« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2007, 02:29:36 PM »
No wonder she is beaming....such a lucky thing to be able to wear that masterpiece! Am so glad that she and the Earl have three boys to secure the Dukedom for a fifth generation!

Lady Alexandra E. has always been a bit of an individual from all accounts! Should imagine that Amelia and Louise M-W must be regular playmates/pals for one another too!

Found a fab piccie of Louise Fife wearing a superb collar of diamonds over black(?) velevet today on some auction site! Post Fife's death I think from the dark hue of Louise's gown...but the collar is a new one to add to the list of 'Whatever happen to that....?'
As I have have only ever seen Louise wearing collars of pearls or pearls with claps of diamonds. I wonder if we shall ever see the 'Floral' again?

Leuchtenberg

« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2007, 10:18:39 PM »
?

I know this may be too personal to ask :-\, but is there any particular known reason why they got divorced?

She was cheating on the Duke.

Not that it excuses adultery, but it's been said that the Duke of Fife is not a nice man, so being married to him must have been an ordeal.

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2007, 10:05:54 AM »
Yes, it is the Countess of Southesk.  After the death of the late earl of Southesk,  it was announced that the earl and countess of Macduff, would be styled solely as the Earl and Countess of Southesk, although technically, the Duke of Fife is also the Earl.  The reason for this decision is that the Southesk title is a peerage (although at this time it is a courtesy title).  Lord Southesk's eldest son bears the courtesy title, Lord Carnegie.  Lord Southesk is no longer styled as the Earl of Macduff.  The title will probably remain unused unless of course the Fife line dies out (Lord Southesk has three sons so it is safe for sometime) and the Southesk earldom passes to another Carnegie line.

This sort of thing will also happen with the Brabourne Barony.  At this timie,  the titleholder is also the heir to the Mountbatten earldom.  This, when Lord Brabourne succeeds to his mother's title, the Brabourne barony title will probably be used by Nicholas Knatchbull, rather than the Romsey baronial title.

Which Fife lady is this wearing the Fife tiara? Is it the former Caroline Bunting, wife of the present Earl of Southesk and Macduff?
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Duke of New Jersey

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2007, 01:42:42 PM »
If I have this right they are not calling themselves the Duke and Duchess of Fife but instead the Earl and Countess of Southesk? Why? 

(Marlene, I know you explained this but I don't understand why they are not using the title Duke of Fife)

-Duke of NJ

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2007, 01:50:11 PM »
Because the duke of Fife is still alive.  He inherited his title from his maternal aunt.  His mother, Maud, who died in 1945, married the Earl of Southesk.  Their only son, James, was styled as Lord Carnegie until his aunt Alexandra (Maud's sister), who was duchess of Fife, died, and as her only son predeceased her,  the ducal title went to her nephew.  Thus, Lord Carnegie, heir apparent to the Southesk earldom,  became a duke.   His only son, David, was styled as Earl of Macduff, and retained this style until 1992, when the 11th earl of Southesk died.

The Duke of Fife is also the 12th earl of Southesk but because of the connection to the Carnegie estates which they inherited, the family decided that the earldom would be used by the duke's heir, the Earl of Macduff .. so David and Caroline are now as  the earl and countess of Southesk (but not as a peerage). Technically, the Duke of Fife is also the Earl of Southesk, just as he is also the earl of Macduff.

The late Princess Arthur of Connaught, Duchess of Fife died in 1959.  The Fife title was allowed to be inherited by the 1st Duke's two daughters and their male heirs.
When the Duke of Fife dies, David will succeed to the dukedom and become the Duke of Fife.  The eldest son will most likely be styled as the earl of southesk.

If I have this right they are not calling themselves the Duke and Duchess of Fife but instead the Earl and Countess of Southesk? Why? 

(Marlene, I know you explained this but I don't understand why they are not using the title Duke of Fife)

-Duke of NJ
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 01:59:21 PM by Marlene »
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Duke of New Jersey

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2007, 08:22:49 PM »
Thank you Marlene, I wrongly assumed that the Duke of Fife had passed away. 

Thanks,
-Duke of NJ

alixaannencova

« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2007, 02:15:52 AM »
Does anyone have piccies of Louise and Macduff in their Devonshire house ball costumes! Also in the 1920s official portrait photographs of QA, IMO one can certainly see a very uncanny likeness between QA and Louise F. I find it odd, that in earlier day they looked so different! Also, I think all the Wales children (John of cause omitted) had remarkable profiles! Barring GV, who had his Mamam's nose, they all appear to have inherited 'that' nose, Coburg or Hanoverian?

Furthermore, I was thinking about what ifs! Had GV died of typhoid Louise would have become Queen in 1910. I know that the then RF feared such an event, but considering her strength of character over her marriage to Macduff and the issue of the 'oven', I like to think she would have eventually pulled herself together and out of her her self imposed slothdom and made a sufficiently able Queen Regnant! Alix of Connaught would have certainly made a marvellous monarch! She really was so lovely, modest and sensible!

I know 'what ifs' are rather self indulgent, but I dare say had Louise become Queen, she and Macduff and the girls would certainly not have had to endure the 'Delhi' saga as they did and perhaps Macduff would not have died in 1912. Then again if he had, maybe we would have had another 'Queen Victoria' like court until 1931!

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2007, 05:51:24 AM »

I know that the then RF feared such an event, but considering her strength of character over her marriage to Macduff and the issue of the 'oven', I like to think she would have eventually pulled herself together and out of her her self imposed slothdom and made a sufficiently able Queen Regnant!

Where is this information as I am not familiar with this/theses story/stories?

TampaBay

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 05:55:43 AM by TampaBay »
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

alixaannencova

« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2007, 06:12:23 AM »
There was general alarm at the prospect of Louise being next in line to the throne after Georgie! When he was seriously ill with typhoid, the prospect of a future Queen Louise was fleetingly contemplated!

What I tend to believe is that if Georgie had died from tyhpoid, Louise would have adapted to her role as heiress assumptive. No doubt she would not have relished her future role, but I would like to believe that she would have found the will and energy to carry the burden!

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2007, 04:15:02 PM »
She would have had to find the strength to cope with it, simple as that.  Hard to imagine Fife as consort though!

I always maintain that the Wales girls were as equal to royal tasks as any of their cousins were.  They just weren't given the appropriate social training in these duties and 'brought out' enough by their parents, in my opinion.

alixaannencova

« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2007, 06:44:54 AM »
Lovely piccie synnadene I had never seen it before! I do agree Grace, I tend to blame Bertie and Alix too!

alixaannencova

« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2007, 07:12:46 AM »
I am mystified by the near chronic nature of Louise's frail health! Even as early as 1890 her well being seems to have been a hot topic and at this date, she and Fife would migrate to the continent for the benefit of her health in the depths of winter. I know that everyone is different, but Louise seems to have endured a pretty poor constitution, unlike any other amongst her siblings or cousins! I confess I am not a medical expert at all, but I do find it quite fascinating that at the age of twenty two Louise was suffering from neuralgia, though I tend to wonder at the accuracy of this Victorian diagnosis. If it be the case that she did have neuralgia this early on in her life, then from what I have read about really bad neuralgia, she may well have suffered from depression also.

David Duff put forward a very interesting case as to why the Wales children may have been less robust then their cousins which is plausible, but I still wonder why out of all of them, Louise seems to have suffered the most severely. In Toria's case, I often wonder if Lord Dawson did not have a point when he hinted at hypochondria, perhaps caused by her general unhappiness with her lot. Maud on the other hand probably didn't help herself with her near starvation diet, which I suspect she adhered to, in order to maintain her figure to the end. But of all the Wales children, it is Louise who emerges first publicly as the one with the poorest health. I wonder whether she suffered from Porphyria or even ME. There have been numerous anecdotes about her 'mental upset' which I find most intriguing. I would love to know more about why it was necessary for a physician to be in near constant attendance upon her from the 1900s onwards!     

Offline Tdora1

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 21, 2007, 12:08:35 PM »
Porphyria. I'm sure of it. Toria too. PS Anyone know a way of keeping an over-affectionate 18lb tomcat off the keyboard?
Acts of injustice done
Between the setting and the rising sun
In history lie like bones, each one.

W.H. Auden The Ascent of F6