Author Topic: Famous Habsburgs in movies/plays/cartoons  (Read 284817 times)

Offline Greenowl

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Famous Habsburgs in movies/plays/cartoons
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2008, 05:50:11 PM »
According to George R. Marek in "The Eagles Die" (pages 104-105): "It was very late when Ludovika conducted her daughter to the bedchamber; 12 pages holding golden candelabra stood along the way. Ludovika, assisted by Countess Esterhazy and four maids, undressed the bride. A half-hour later Sophie led her son into the room. By that time Elisabeth could no longer bear the exchange of polite inanities with her mother-in-law and pretended to be asleep. Sophie felt insulted. As a final instruction Elisabeth was told that she was expected to appear at the family breakfast the next morning. That was a shock to her; she didn't want to show herself after the wedding night. She protested feebly. In vain - it was a tradition and there was nothing to be done about it. At the breakfast Sophie is supposed to have asked her how well her son had performed the sexual act. Elisabeth broke into a fit of weeping..." Sounds like a very tense atmosphere!

Offline Valancy

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2008, 03:53:15 AM »
Yes, I don't think we'll ever know just which words he used. And mostly he did not speak in ultra-delicate language, even if he probably didn't mean to be harsh, so he might as well have said something like that.

I'll have to check out that French movie at some point when I have the time. I understand French, but I'm not sure if my French is good enough for making subtitles. Sometimes I lose track of it when they speak fast.

Did you know that there are very persistent rumours of a Hollywood movie being made of Elisabeth and Franz-Joseph? I am quite skeptical about it, and especially since those rumours are naming Catherine Zeta-Jones and Tom Hanks as playing Sisi and FJ, which I really cannot imagine. And I don't really want to know what Hollywood would do to Elisabeth's story. Some German or Austrian film about Sisi is also being planned, but I don't remember details about it.

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
  • Your Memory Keeps Me Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2008, 10:01:39 AM »
Where did you hear these rumors, Valancy?

I just finished downloading 'Sissi L'Imperatrice Rebelle' and it turns out to be dubbed in Russian, From what i saw it is one of the few movies showing a more historical  :Dcorrect portrayal of the Empress herself, but it has inaccuracies and therefore I am hoping to see a correct depiction on her life someday.

I watched 'Elisabeth - The Musical' for the first time today and I really loved it, it is a beautiful production and some of the songs really touched me, I really hope they'll release the Dutch version on dvd, oficialy, someday. And I keep hoping that the plans for the Flemish version of the musical will come true so I can go to see it :D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:10:37 AM by Imperial_Grounds »
Learn To Live With My Darker Side

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2008, 05:38:23 PM »
Sisi was very happy because her dashing hero princewas actually a breaucrat tried to his mother's apron-strings. What a come down ! No wonder Sisi wrote sad verses and long to be free. Her early efforts with motherhood was spoiled by the "deligent attention" by her mother-in-law. Enought material for a made for tv movie.

I think Catherine-Zeta-Jones could play the middle age Sisi (as she did Catherine The Great before). Her hair was a great asset...Tom Hanks wasn't up for it. Even Ralph Feinnes or Hugh Jackman (who played aprince before) is better than him.

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2008, 06:16:51 PM »
EEKS...

I am exited:p

There is no new movie, as far as I know, but i just found out the musical will come to Belgium, so I'll have to watch it(and with some luck there'll be a dvd availble to, as they do quite with stage-musicals often lately.

Anyway I am exited, and praying for a dvd then.

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2008, 07:38:47 PM »

I think Catherine-Zeta-Jones could play the middle age Sisi (as she did Catherine The Great before). Her hair was a great asset...

I have to agree :-)

Offline Valancy

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2008, 05:55:46 AM »
I don't remember the exact sources from which I heard about the new movie plans (only plans, it's not in production or anything yet). But it was from Austrian people, apparently Vienna has been full of these rumours, and someone who should know (I don't remember who) had said in a public event that it indeed is being planned. I also read about it in some Austrian newspaper. If I come across quotable sources again, I'll let you know.

Catherine is a good actress, but she's just not physically the Sisi type at all. Just because they're both beautiful and dark-haired doesn't mean that they're alike. And I don't think Catherine would work as the middle-aged Elisabeth simply because she is too healthy. She has a normal-sized feminine figure, at least the last time I saw something with her in it, and the way Sisi worked out and near starved herself in order to keep excessively slim wouldn't be able to come out.

Yes, the musical is coming to Belgium in the near future. It is also currently playing in Zurich (the German tour moved there after Berlin) and it's in the repertoire of the Budapest Operetta Theatre, though they haven't had performances of it for a few months now. But probably they will at some point.

Was it the Vienna DVD of the musical with Maya Hakvoort and Máté Kamarás you watched, Imperial Grounds? Not that there is any other version officially (besides the Takarazuka DVDs from Japan, but they're a bit different), but there is all sorts of stuff in circulation. The Vienna production is my biggest favourite, along with the Hungarian one.

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2008, 06:48:31 AM »
I saw the Dutch version with Pia, and intend to watch the Official DVD of the Vienna-production sometime soon. I recently found out that it indeed will come to Belgium, and that they are casting. I am wondering when they'll start looking for young actors to play Rudolf(as a child and as a teenager). I would even try to get in myself, I just love singing and acting, and even took singing classes(aldo that won't probably be enaugh). I hope there'll be a DVD of the Flemish musical then, since they quite often sell DVD's of Musical's here, like they did with Dracula, and now are doing again with Daens. But even if there won't be a DVD, I'd love to see it - or be part of it.

And please do keep us informed on the plans for a new movie, I also would love to see an English version of the musical, and maybe even a movie of it(like they did with Evita and Jesus Christ Superstar). And I know I'm going of-topic here but is it true there is a musical based on the life of Marie Antoinette? It should be playing in Germany if I'm right.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2008, 02:39:52 PM »
Well...Helen Mirren looked nothing like the Queen, but with make up and acting skills. She pulled it off as HM. Catherine could play Sisi during the height to fading periods. At that time, Sisi was at her most powerful and wilful. One letter shot at her husband and he submitted. She had flirts with Bay Middleton and Nicholas Esterhay. Certainly Catherine could play the wandering Empress. Ava Gardner in "Mayerling" did not resemble the super thin Sisi, but her insecurities of a fading beauty was just right (as Ava herself was a fading beauty too).

I would love to buy a dvd of the Sisi musical when it became available. Was Nene and Sophie in them ?

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2008, 02:47:24 PM »
Yes, Sophie is a major charactar and tries really hard to ruin the marriage of the Imperial couple, Nene is in there shortly in the beginning. I can't wait for it to come to Belgium, and you can see parts of the German production on youtube(subtitled), but I really see Pia as Elisabeth, she was really good with the acting and singing. My favorite part was the one after Rudolf dies and she finaly sees how much they in fact were alike and that she felt guilty for leaving him alone, it got me all teared up.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2008, 02:53:10 PM »
Indeed ! Sisi and Rudolf had a connection but never fully appreciate each other until it was too late. Had Rudolf confided in his mother, his life might not have ended so tragically. It was a guilt Sisi carried the remainder of her life. That iswhy she connected with Eugenie in her later years as well.

Actually I was referring to Sophie Charlotte, Duchess of Alencon. She was the odd person out in the triangle of Sisi-Ludwig II relationship...

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2008, 03:31:02 PM »
Sophie is briefly mentioned yes, as is Ludwig II, in a song near the end about the people the Empress lost. It comes after Rudolf's death to show how she longs for death(because the musical is a love-triangle between Elisabeth, Franz-Joseph and Death), to find freedom and to be reunited with her loved-ones. Anyway, it mentions  that Ludwig drown to death and that Sophie burned to death. I have a movie on both Ludwig II and Sophie, both mention their engagement and their tragic deaths ofcourse, Ludwig II also has a big part for Elisabeth(Romy again, as the 'real' Empress this time).

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2008, 04:04:26 PM »
Is that the movie "Ludwig" ? It was the only one that she played Elizabeth a more mature woman than the cheezy "Sisi" films. Indeed, I think Sophie Charlotte was more complex than given credit for. She was "in love" with Ludwig II, but also carried on an affair with a photographer (years before Princess Margaret did).

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2008, 04:56:17 PM »
Yes it is Ludwig, and indeed Sophie had an affair with a photographer(the movie based on her life uses their love as 'base', so it is not all correct to history but still keeps the key-moments - Sophie's engagement with Ludwig, her marriage with the duke, her stay in the asylum and eventualy her death), anyway I can't wait to see the flemish musical(keep hoping for a dvd) and to see a more correct movie on the life of the Empress...

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2008, 06:35:59 PM »
Indeed. With the right script, director and actress. The result is possible to produce something like "Vive en Rose" (the story of Edith Pief), which is a great movie. A period piece but nicely done. The story of Sisi have that potential too...Any preferrence of directors ?