Author Topic: Famous Habsburgs in movies/plays/cartoons  (Read 284814 times)

Offline Valancy

• View Profile
Re: Famous Habsburgs in movies/plays/cartoons
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2008, 04:21:28 AM »
I can't really imagine the Elisabeth musical as a film. It's too theatrical, it belongs in theatre and wouldn't work on film. All those sequences with Death would just look weird in a film otherwise set in real locations etc.

Hmm, I wonder what kind of a script the Belgian production will have. You see, Elisabeth the musical has sometimes rather remarkable differences between scripts of different versions. The Dutch production was the only one which actually had two songs with young Rudolf, with two different young Rudolf actors. Afterwards the first scene has been replaced by a scene where Sophie decides that Rudolf must be trained by Count Gondrecourt, and only the second scene remains. I think it more likely that a new production will follow the script of the recent Vienna production rather than the old Dutch script, but I'm not sure, of course. The musical has undergone quite a few developments in different productions, the creators have added different scenes at different times, then some changes have been taken into the new productions, some haven't.

If some of you are curious to see scenes from the musicals with subtitles, I can give you a few links. Otherwise it can be really hard to find the right ones among the multitudes of the YouTube videos. These are fan made translations so they're not necessarily 100% accurate, but they should give you a general idea. I tried to find fairly good translations, but none are perfect. These are from the 2005 Vienna DVD with Maya Hakvoort in the role of Elisabeth. (People sometimes complain that she looks too old in the early parts of the musical, but considering it spans her whole life, it would be rather difficult for an actress to be the right age all the time, and I don't think that the filming conditions were always as favourable as they should have been.)

Ich gehör nur mir - Elisabeth's first big solo, when shortly after her marriage she is angered by the lack of freedom she has as an Empress and Franz-Joseph not standing up to her. (The translation is the "official" English translation which is not very good, not a literal translation, but I couldn't find any other subtitled version.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_vdgL097_o

Ich will dir nur sagen / Ich gehör nur mir (reprise) - The finale of the first act, with Franz-Joseph, Elisabeth and Death. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M01fI9eJfG4

Wenn ich tanzen will - Elisabeth and Death's duet after Elisabeth has been crowned the Queen of Hungary and is at the height of her power. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR3hdAc_RDs

Nichts, nichts, gar nichts - Elisabeth's second solo, in which she visits a madhouse, sees a woman who thinks herself to be the Empress, and is led to contemplating the emptiness of her life. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHjhJz6eV3Q

Die Rastlose Jahre & Die Schatten werden länger - The "restless years" when Elisabeth constantly travels the world and fears growing old (by the ensemble, Franz-Joseph and Lucheni), and the duet between Rudolf and Death, in which Death feels Rudolf's feelings of depression and oncoming disaster. (I must say I don't much like this Rudolf actor, but the song is great.)

Rudolf, wo bist du? - The scene after Rudolf's death, where Elisabeth regrets her coldness and wants to die in her unhappiness. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHVl_f6T928

And just in case you're curious for a somewhat different production of with a different Elisabeth, here is a promotional video of the Dutch production with Pia Douwes singing the Dutch version of "Ich gehör nur mir" and various videoclips of the production: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGnl-SLKDB4 (The dark man in the red coat is Death. I like this Death very much.)

A promotional version of Wenn ich tanzen will in the German production, with a rather different choreography, and Pia Douwes and Uwe Kröger as Elisabeth and Death: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9xgR_X73ws

I hope it's okay to post these links. If it's not, let me know and I'll remove them. And I'm not in any way connected to the musical and advertising it, I just like it a lot and think that more people should know it and it could be interesting for members of this forum as it's a very good adaptation of Elisabeth's life.

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
  • Your Memory Keeps Me Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2008, 06:17:51 AM »
My favorite song has to be 'Ich gehör nur mir' and I really am curious to see what the Belgian version will be like, what I also liked about the Dutch musical is that they kept the 'original' Elisabeth, since Pia played Elisabeth several times and is about to play her again.

And the reason why I would want it to be adapted into a movie is because movie simply has a bigger audience, and it worked for the 'Phantom of the Opera', and I just wonder how they would work on 'Elisabeth'
Learn To Live With My Darker Side

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2008, 01:01:36 PM »
Thanks for the links ! I would look into the productions and buy whatever I can get my hands on in Europe...

I agree, a movie of her life would work...even in a musical. Too bad nothing in English. Sisi herself spoke English perfectly and used it as asecret language with Nene. It also came to be useful during her wandering years in England and Ireland.

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2008, 05:19:05 PM »
Yes, I watched the Musical once again today, I just love it.

Can't wait for the Belgian version, and I hope these movies will become reality someday soon.

Anyway can anyone tell me how Mayerling(1968) actually was since there isn't a DVD, and if possible, provide me with some screencaps(of Ava as the Empress)?

There also is an English version of 'Ich Gehör Nu Mir' called 'I Belong To Me' sung by Pia Douwes, it is a beautiful song, and I don't care in what language it is sung.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 05:21:21 PM by Imperial_Grounds »

Offline Valancy

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2008, 04:59:43 AM »
I don't think that Pia is about to play Elisabeth again in any near future, unless there's something I haven't heard. She just did in the Berlin part of the German tour, but she left that production in the summer and I haven't heard of her getting back to it. While she is a fantastic actress, I don't really think she needs to play the role forever, there are also many others who can be good, and are. However, she was amazing in the Dutch production and she and Stanley are one of my favourite Sisi/Death pairings.

There have been a few songs from the musical translated into English, though the translations are of varying quality. It'd be interesting if the whole musical was done in English some time, but I guess there is not so much interest in Elisabeth in the English-speaking world. And the librettist has had some bad experiences about English-language productions of his musicals, so he may be reserved about doing it, but perhaps it's about to change as their new musical "Rebecca" is going on Broadway.

I have trouble seeing the musical work on film because it's so theatrical and in some ways abstract. It's just not film material, not even as much as Phantom (which is also rather theatrical). But certainly if there was someone who could make the whole fantasy part of it (Death etc.) work, I would be interested to see the result. As long as they made sure to cast a real musical actress in the lead role, because I doubt any Hollywood starlets can sing Elisabeth's part well enough - it's tremendously difficult to sing.

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2008, 05:34:14 AM »
True, it is hard to sing,

but Death could be done with some kind of 'glow', indicating he is Death, and I think it might work but that a few changes would be needed.

I've just heared Maike Boerdam is hoping to play the role in the Belgian production, I can't wait to see it ;D

I jsut  am curious on how it will look, and i just love the music

Offline Silja

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2008, 10:13:47 AM »
And I know I'm going of-topic here but is it true there is a musical based on the life of Marie Antoinette? It should be playing in Germany if I'm right.

Yes, the musical Marie Antoinette by Kunze/Levay will have its premiere in Bremen in January 2009

http://www.ma-bremen.de/cgi-bin/oe2edit.cgi

I really want to see it as I love Elisabeth . But I wouldn't want to see the musical ever be turned into a film. I simply think musicals belong on stage and not on the screen. To me it simply doesn't work. Although I love Phantom of the Opera and Evita I was not at all impressed with the film versions, especially with Phantom , which I thought pretty awful.

But it's indeed high time there was an accurate film about the Empress Elisabeth.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2008, 10:19:10 AM »
I would love to see either the film or musical done. I guess if they could do Evita into a Rock Opera. Sisi should not be so hard to do. I agree with the interest bit.

Ava was great in Mayerling. Some of her dialogue came from Sisi herself ! She called Stephaine "That tiresome lout of a girl" was wholly accurate.

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2008, 10:24:07 AM »
Yea,

On-stage productions are always better, that is proven...

And I hope the Marie Antoinette-musical will come to the Netherlands, or Belgium, since I love those kind of musicals :)

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2008, 07:25:13 AM »
I don't remember the exact sources from which I heard about the new movie plans (only plans, it's not in production or anything yet). But it was from Austrian people, apparently Vienna has been full of these rumours, and someone who should know (I don't remember who) had said in a public event that it indeed is being planned. I also read about it in some Austrian newspaper. If I come across quotable sources again, I'll let you know.

Catherine is a good actress, but she's just not physically the Sisi type at all. Just because they're both beautiful and dark-haired doesn't mean that they're alike. And I don't think Catherine would work as the middle-aged Elisabeth simply because she is too healthy. She has a normal-sized feminine figure, at least the last time I saw something with her in it, and the way Sisi worked out and near starved herself in order to keep excessively slim wouldn't be able to come out.

I also read about this planned film - in an Associated Press report, in January 2008. I still have the URL in my email archives, as I sent it to a friend at the time, but the report itself has gone.

I would actually like to see such a film, because although I have no expectations of it being much good, it would give a boost to books about that period of history and about the Habsburgs and their empire in the English-speaking world. There has always been some level of interest because of Mayerling and so on, but nothing on a par with the last Romanovs, for example.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many; they are few.

Offline Valancy

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2008, 01:01:43 PM »

I also read about this planned film - in an Associated Press report, in January 2008. I still have the URL in my email archives, as I sent it to a friend at the time, but the report itself has gone.

I would actually like to see such a film, because although I have no expectations of it being much good, it would give a boost to books about that period of history and about the Habsburgs and their empire in the English-speaking world. There has always been some level of interest because of Mayerling and so on, but nothing on a par with the last Romanovs, for example.

That is a good point. I'm mostly just rather skeptical about the quality of the film and am not looking forward to seeing lots of fangirls pop up who think they're into Elisabeth and don't really know much about the truth. But if it results in an increased availability of books, that isn't a bad thing...

I don't really see the Elisabeth musical working on film, no matter what. There is quite a difference between theatre and film as media, even if they may seem deceptively similar on surface. Often what works in theatre doesn't work in film, and Elisabeth seems to me to be a very theatrical musical. I really have trouble coming up with a musical that would be less suited for film. Though probably there are some. Anybody who ever gets a chance to see that musical in theatre should do it, though. It really is a great adaptation of Sisi's life and simply a great musical. The Vienna DVD can also be purchased from some online stores, though the DVD itself doesn't have English subtitles.

And oh yes, that Marie Antoinette musical interests me as well. There are some sound clips from songs in the Bremen production to be found on this website: http://www.dramamusicals.de/news/news.php?id=37 (Click on links that start with "Ausschnitt", the others are interviews.)

By the way, if anybody is curious about the Hungarian production of the Elisabeth musical, here are a few clips. I think the actors are amazing and the production is very interestingly done.

Ich gehör nur mir (Elisabeth: Kata Janza) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k0gKZOO7dw

The finale of the first act (I only could find a video that also includes the previous song, the song of the ladies-in-waiting and servants about Elisabeth's beauty cares. If you want to skip it, Franz-Joseph's part starts at a little before 2 minutes) (Franz-Joseph: Zoltán Bereczki, Elisabeth: Kata Janza, Death: Szilveszter Szabó) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgeADPrZsuY

Die Schatten werden länger (Death: Szilveszter Szabó, Rudolf: Attila Dolhai) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moi_i9MV7Bc

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2008, 01:49:38 PM »
Yes, movies often ar inacurate but, these days, movies are one of the few froms of art that really brings history to the audience and if it sparks a little bit of interest they have served some purpose, look wat the 'Other Boleyn Girl' and the 2 movies on Elizabeth I(Elizabeth and Elizabeth, The Golden Age) did for the Tudor-history, people are interesed again and I believe 'The Kitchenboy will do that for Romanov-History, and especialy the history of Nicky, Alix and the children. And it could also work for Empress Elisabeth, and get the image of a fairytale out of the air.

Also I was thinking last night about a title and i think 'The Lonely Empress' could work,

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2008, 02:31:14 PM »
After Joan Halslip's bio I think. I like "the Reluctant Empress" better...

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2008, 02:50:39 PM »
Of course, isn't that the person who wrote the bio on the Empress, comparising her with Princess Diana? I forget about that one:p

And you're right, that would sound better because after all she was lonely, but most of all she was a reluctant Empress.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2008, 03:49:33 PM »
Indeed...Sisi fell for the handsome Franz, who was dashing and romantic. She once said" if only he wasn't the emperor." I guess FJ treasured  his wife because he knew she loved him and not the title or position.