Author Topic: "Zoya" - Danielle Steele  (Read 6066 times)

Offline nerdycool

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
"Zoya" - Danielle Steele
« on: September 28, 2004, 01:24:46 AM »
I remember seeing the mini-series of this book many years ago starring Melissa Gilbert as Countess Zoya Ossupov and I instantly had to go buy the book. The story is of Countess Zoya, a cousin of the Imperial Family (and best friends with GD Maria), and the days leading up to the Revolution. Some of the members of the IF make appearances... Maria, Alexandra, Nicholas, Alexei (in rememberances), and Joy the dog. The other girls are sick with the measles at that time so they aren't really written about. The story then goes on with her escape from Russia and life afterward through many big events like the Depression and WWII, and it ends in the later part of the century.

Anyway, the story has it's flaws regarding the Imperial Family and little facts that we (Romanov Fanatics) know are false. But I still love the book as it draws you into the horrors suffered during the Revolution and life as an exiled royal.

Has anyone else read this book? What are some thoughts about it?

P.S. - Steele has another book where the Imperial Family makes some appearances.... it's called "Granny Dan".  Not as enjoyable as "Zoya", but still interesting.

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
  • No more school forever!  Well,except college.
    • View Profile
Re: "Zoya" - Danielle Steele
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 10:45:05 AM »
Yes, nerdycool, I LOVE this book!!!!!!! :D  It's a favorite of mine!  I read it a couple years ago, so I don't quite remember the "falsities," so to speak, regarding the Imperial Family.  I did wish Steele wrote more about OTA, though.  But I loved that she was best friends with Maria!  It was also a sad book (losing all her family, losing NAOTMAA, losing her property, her other friends, her total way of life :'().  Of course she does find happiness, although she goes through many other very tragic events besides the tragedies of the Revolution.  I find her name also quite fascinating--"Zoya."  Very cool! 8)

Oh and thank you for the info on her other book with the IF!  What's that supposed to be about?

Offline nerdycool

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 12:47:10 AM »
This is the book description of "Granny Dan". I was going to write a brief summary of it, but then I realized that many people wouldn't appreciate me spoiling the book.

"She was the cherished grandmother who sang songs in Russian, loved to roller-skate, and spoke little of her past. But when Granny Dan died, all that remained was a box wrapped in brown paper, tied with string. Inside, an old pair of satin toe shoes, a gold locket, and a stack of letters tied with ribbon. It was her legacy, her secret past, waiting to be discovered by the granddaughter who loved her but never really knew her. It was a story waiting to be told. . .

The year was 1902. A new century was dawning as a motherless young girl arrived at a ballet school in St. Petersburg, Russia, at the age of seven. By age seventeen, Danina Petroskova had become a great ballerina, a favorite of the Czar and Czarina, who welcomed her into the heart of the Imperial family. But events both near and far away shook the ground upon which she danced. A war, an extraordinary man, and a devastating illness altered the course of her life. And when revolution shattered Russia, Danina Petroskova was forced to make a heartbreaking choice--as the world around her was about to change forever."

I enjoyed it, though like "Zoya", the IF isn't drawn in a realistic light. Nevertheless, I recommend it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by nerdycool »

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
  • No more school forever!  Well,except college.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 10:55:30 AM »
Thank you nerdycool!  It sounds absolutely wonderful! :D  Even if it is a little off track regarding the Family. :)

Offline Czarevna Colleen

• Lady Lorna Dugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 09:02:25 PM »
I own both a copy of the novel and the film.  As fictionalized as it is, it's meticulously researched, moving and entertaining.  You can see the characters come to life and you can imagine the words coming out of the character's mouths.  Enjoyable.

Offline xX_Mashka_Xx

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • Mashka's dedication
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 12:37:48 PM »
I am currently reading this book, and I must say, it's very well done, even if it isn't complately accurate.

Offline Dominic_Albanese

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 05:41:28 AM »
I may get some razzing for this, but I too have this book and must say that I remember it being a thoroughly enjoyable read.  I remember being surprised that as a work of non-fiction (something I almost never read) how close to reality it was in many ways - especially as the surrounding details.  For those who do nothing but read non-fiction - this is a good read if you want to take a break and slide into the work of "what if..."

best,
dca

Offline Lysa-Maé

• The musical "Le Roi Soleil" made me love history
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 08:27:40 AM »
Oh, I love that book too! :) But I'm not able to see what details are not true. Can you tell me? I'm a very curious person.  ;)

OlgaNRomanovaFan

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 07:04:30 AM »
For those who live in England, the film version of Zoya will be on Channel 5 on Sunday 11th June at 3.15pm.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by OlgaNRomanovaFan »

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 09:31:09 AM »
Zoya was not only one of the first books I read related to the Russian IF, but one of my sources of inspiration to find out more about them. I still love the book, despite its errors, and often reread it when I can. The movie was alright, but I was pleased that they were smart enough to include shots of the Alexander Palace and Feodorovsky Cathedral.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ortino »

Offline Nathalie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 09:46:33 AM »
Yeah..it was a pretty ncie book...I really liked it-when i was 14 :)
It also inspired me to read more about Russia, both history and literature and then when I reached the Russian classics, I never touched a Danielle Steel again in my life ::)
Dites-moi, Vladimir Lvovich, si j'avais une amie ou une sœur plus jeune, et si vous appreniez qu’elle…enfin, supposons qu’elle vous aime…que feriez vous á cette nouvelle?