Author Topic: Colonel Kobylinsky  (Read 23496 times)

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
Re: Colonel Kobylinsky
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 02:30:06 AM »
  Another photo of the Colonel

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2012, 08:28:56 PM »
It looks like Colonel Kobylinsky is wearing a Red army uniform. He did serve in the White (Non-communist) army in Siberia during the Russiam civil war was captured and was let out of a prison camp after he agreed to serve in the Red army.The Bolo war minester Trotsky I believe did issue an order that POWs were to well treated with the idea to get them to serve in the red army unless they were real "bad guys" ect. The order was often ignored prisoners were often masscred by both sides during the Civil war. White officer often had their epauletts nailed to their shoulders. Also note both armies contained large numbers of "conscripted" peasants who really weren't committed to either side. Being an ex Tsarist army officer in the Red army was no fun even if you joined voluntarily. There was always a political commissar following you around with a pistol ready to shoot you if you steped out of line. if you lost a battle you could be shot. Stalin distrusted ex-Tsarist officers and on one occation he had a group of them loaded on a barge then sank the barge in a river drowning them all. Then while Trotsky was trying to recruit ex-Tsarist officers in to the new Red army the Cheka was busy hunting them down like rabid dogs and jailing and shooting them and their families. Some of these men were let out of jail to serve in the Red army while their families were held as hostage. Another problem for these men if they were captured by the Whites they usually shot them reguardless of the circumstances. This really motavated these men to work harder for the Reds even if they really didn't want to. White army policies like this also cut down on the number of deserters and defectors from the Red army as well. Having survived the Civil war ect the ex tsarist officers, who 40,000 served in the Red army and without their help the Reds would have lost the Civil war, had to deal with Joesef Stalin. One of his earlier actions was to have any and all officer who served on the White side, all officers who served on the white then red sides and all officers who had a gap in their service records purged. Then there was the the great terror of 1937-38 where Stalin had his armys senior leadership purged and usually shot.
 One final comment the Russian army staff colege that the Bolos moved to Ekaterinburg many of the member defected to the White side after the IF was murdered. The Whites treated them like Phriahs and inspite of the fact many of them had very impressive military service records didn't give any of them any positions of importance. One of the reasons the White army in Siberia was defeated is because some of the men they put in command positions were total incompetants. I hope this of some use.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2012, 11:40:53 PM »
Thank you for catching that, I wouldn't know enough to tell the difference ...though the lack of shoulder boards should have told me. Fascinating history and thanks for that as well!
... One of the reasons the White army in Siberia was defeated is because some of the men they put in command positions were total incompetents.
This helped bring down Tsarism in the first  place:  Who your were was  held to be much more important  than one's actual ability... A system  or an army fighting for its life can't afford such an attitude .

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
Yes, at a very early stage shoulder boards were banned in the Red Army. Ironically they were reinstated in 1942-43 as part of Stalin's appeal to tradition.

Ann

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2012, 05:21:02 PM »
The Bolos didn't like Czarist era Epaulets at all. It should also be pointed out that the man who designed the earliest uniforms for the red army was shot by the them. The epaulets were brought back in January 1943 together with a new army tunic with a stand up collar just like in the Czars army. This did lead to a few jokes like are they going to bring back the Order of St Anne next? Of course it did take awhile to reuniform the whole army. I also belive the Soviets had to import gold braid from England because of this. i believe they got it do to lend lease. Just thought you'd like to know.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2012, 05:43:56 PM »
The Bolos didn't like Czarist era Epaulets at all.
Indeed  epaulets  scream  "  officer" after all .  I remember it was big deal when Nicholas was told he had to give them up...that seem to get a bigger refusal out of him that giving up the throne.! He  continued to wear them under his coat . Also  I remember reading Dr. Botkin went back to wearing suits rather than remove them  from his uniform 
It should also be pointed out that the man who designed the earliest uniforms for the red army was shot by the them.
very few  at the start  didn't later get"  purged " 
The epaulets were brought back in January 1943 together with a new army tunic with a stand up collar just like in the Czars army. This did lead to a few jokes like are they going to bring back the Order of St Anne next?
FUNNY!!. It seems to me a few of the generals they used once Hitler attacked..(and Stalin was finally convinced it was happening ! ) were taken out of prison and sent directly  to the battlefield...only to be purged after victory of course

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2012, 03:40:10 AM »
Stalin did create an Order of Alexander Nevsky - not wildly dissimilar to the Order of St Alexander Nevsky.

A major reason why the Red Army performed so badly in 1941 was that the senior officers had been purged in the late 1930, and the survivors were better known for their political reliability (or sycophancy) than their military ability.

Ann

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2012, 01:34:19 PM »
Stalin did create an Order of Alexander Nevsky - not wildly dissimilar to the Order of St Alexander Nevsky.

A major reason why the Red Army performed so badly in 1941 was that the senior officers had been purged in the late 1930, and the survivors were better known for their political reliability (or sycophancy) than their military ability.

Ann
Exactly Ann, and Stalin just  kept purging throughout his rein. WW2 was horrific for the Russian people,. But at least it was a brake from Stalin's purging...only to resume upon victory

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2012, 06:33:32 PM »
The reasons why Nicholas II abidcated so quickly:  After rasputin was murdered there were people talking about Alexandra being killed next. There were also people planning a coup against him. Both of these plots involved members of his own family. This is partly why the atmosphere at the Alexander palace in early 1917 according to one source. At pskov, Northern front HQ where he either had to abdicate or he was either going to be ousted in a coup or mudered or both. I don't think Alexandra's being there would have prevented it. Alexandra may have been murdered as well or locked up in some convent. With both his parents out of the way this leaves little Alexei as Tsar with Cyril Vlad next in line. I don't think Alexei's chances of living to be old enough to rule are all that great. Since the people who got rid of his parents would be very worried he would take care of them! Also Nicholas II really didn't like being tsar and was really glad to step down and let someone else rule. Finally, one wonders all the people who worked so hard to get rid of Nicholas II like his relatives, the politicians, the generals ect realized this was a bad idea?
 As for the Guards Colonels epaulets Nicholas II usually wore he recieved them from his father, they were special for him and he had never taken a higher rank.
Ann
I can safely say that incompetance wasn't just a Russian problem during WW I it seems to have been something all the great powers had.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2012, 07:42:38 PM »
There were also people planning a coup against him...
Do you think this concern played a part in Nicholas taking personal command of the army? 

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2012, 06:56:42 PM »
blessOTMA
After some computor problems I am back. Kobylinsky was also really upset that the soldiers council voted that all officers had to remove their epaulets.  I made a misteke on my last posting I left out the section where the atmosphere at the Alexander palace was that of a house in morning in early 1917.
 In Russia the first year of WW I there was a political truce. Nothing bad was said about Alexandra or rasputin. however, after nicholas took personal command of the army the gossip ect came back with avengence. The Duma politicians wanted to discredit Nicholas in order for them to get credit for winning WW I. They realized if Nicholas was in command of the army and won WWI he would cut the power or do away with the Duma. The politicians led by A.I. Guchkov determined to do this by any means which includes smearing Alexandra ect. Also Maria Fed was furious that her son fired Grand Duke Nicholas N and took personal command of the army and left Alexandra behind with some real power. So Maria Fed and many of the rest of the Romanovs did everything in their power to smear Alexandra and Rasputin. You might say they succeeded too well. They got rid of both nicholas and Alexadra and whole country fell apart. I wonder how these people must have regreted what they did before they were either shot by the Bolos or died in exile. This is mainly from:
The Murder of Grigory Rasputin
The Foe Within
The effectiveness of military Institutions Volume I WW I