Author Topic: Siblings of King Louis XVI  (Read 42104 times)

Offline Lyra

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Siblings of King Louis XVI
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2007, 08:33:01 AM »
I've read that Gros Madame was a delightful woman, a charming person with great talents for music playing and art in general, but her talents was unfortunatly unknown by the french court.Keep in mind that the thing which was prevailant was the apperance (you had to be beautiful and to wear beautiful clothes.. rich and amazing dress  :D )
 She also was considered as inferior to her younger sister Elisabeth who was considered as the beauty, and her brothers, mostly because of her weight (the courtisans poked fun at her).
Nevertheless, even if courtisans tried to opposite Elisabeth and Clothilde, both were very close. She also had a close relation with her eldest brother..
"Le Ciel est joli comme un ange"  A.R

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 01, 2007, 11:23:19 AM »
Tsk nothing much changes does it ;)
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2007, 05:18:37 AM »
I found a couple of interesting remarks about Princess Clothilde from the "Life and Letter of Madame Ellizabeth de France...
The difference in the characters of the sisters made a difference in the feelings of their governess towards each. Jealousy came to increase the asperity of the younger sister's nature. "If Clotilde had asked you," she said, one day, when Mme. de Marsan had refused a request, "she would have had it." [Page 4]

"Clotilde was born with the happiest disposition, which needed only to be encouraged and aided."

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2007, 06:09:23 AM »
Have any of Clothildes papers survived? I would be interested to read her thoughts on the revolution and execution of Elisabeth. I wonder did Mesdames visit her after there escape to Rome?
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline HSH The Duchess of Bourbon

• Boyar
  • HSH The Duchess of Bourbon, Princess of the blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2009, 08:22:10 PM »
Have any of Clothildes papers survived? I would be interested to read her thoughts on the revolution and execution of Elisabeth. I wonder did Mesdames visit her after there escape to Rome?

this is a very interesting thought tbh..shame posted so long ago :(
HSH The Duchess of Bourbon, Princess of the blood

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2009, 02:22:30 AM »
I think this answers all the questions. She saw her Aunts, her Sister-in-laws and her Brother who all came to Turin. This page states how she heard of her Sister Madame Elizabeth's Death and the pages before it of Louis XVI! It is interesting how many of the old Regime came there and the problems it caused.

http://www.archive.org/stream/sisteroflouisxvi00arterich#page/70/mode/2up

in English      "A Sister of Louis XVI, Marie Clotilde de France"

http://books.google.com/books?id=TFsOAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA197&dq=Clotilde+of+France+1759+%E2%80%93+1802%29&lr=#v=onepage&q=Clotilde%20of%20France%201759%20%E2%80%93%201802%29&f=false

New Letters of Marie Antoinette and Marie Clothilde of France (french text)