Author Topic: Grand Duke Konstantin N. and Grand Duchess Alexandra Iosifovna  (Read 158354 times)

Offline joye

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Duke Konstantin N. and Grand Duchess Alexandra Iosifovna
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2006, 02:10:01 AM »
Re the Coronation of Tsar Nicholas II, in  1896, I found this pictures elsewhere, and it said that the lady on the extreme right was Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden.  All the others are as stated.  My picture did not say who was seated in front of Alex. Iosifovna.

I was puzzled by my info as there was 1 person left over and not named.  So many thanks for  setting me right.  I wont have nightmares tonight trying to figure out this picture.  I tried to find out more about CP Vicoria of Sweden, but am in the middle of a prject on the Grand Duchesses.

Signed  HRH
YaBB 1G-SP1!

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2006, 03:58:54 AM »
Re the Coronation of Tsar Nicholas II, in  1896, I found this pictures elsewhere, and it said that the lady on the extreme right was Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden.  All the others are as stated.  My picture did not say who was seated in front of Alex. Iosifovna.

At the very right is Princess Elena of Saxe-Altenbourg, nee Duchess Elena Georgievna of Mecklenbourg-Strelitz.
In front of GD AI is Princess Elza of Wurttemberg.

Offline Nadya_Arapov

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2006, 03:12:56 AM »
Does anyone know what became of the Grand Duke Konstantin Nikolaevich's children from his liaison with ballerina Anna Kuznetzova? Are the details of their lives (not just the names and dates posted below) known?

I have always wondered if they had any contact with their half-siblings after their father's death. I remember reading that the Grand Duchess Alexandra (the "government issue wife") evicted Anna and her children from their home after the Grand Duke was incapacitated by a stroke. One of the GD's loyal ADC's managed to smuggle Anna and the children into the palace allowing them to saying goodbye to the Grand Duke before his death.

1. Sergey Konstantinovich Kniazev d. young

2. Ismael Konstantinovich Kniazev d. young

3. Maria Konstantinovna Kniazeva b. Dec 8, 1875 d. unknown (m.). Apr 24, 1894 Alexander Pavlovich Erchov b. July 6, 1861, son of Gen. Paul Erchov

4. Anna Konstantinovna Kniazeva b. Mar 16, 1878 St. Petersburg d. Feb 5, 1920 (of typhoid) Ekaterinodar  (m.) Apr 29, 1898 St. Petersburg Nikolai Nikolaevich Lialin b. Aug 15, 1869 d. Feb 14, 1920 (of typhoid) Ekaterinodar, son of Gen. Nikolai Lialin, Military Governor of Helsingfors.

5. Lev Konstantinovich Kniazev  d. in Infancy

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I am he, who will bell the cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2006, 06:44:38 PM »
I was wondering the same thing after reading Charlotte Zeepvat's book Romanov Autumn! I guess only the two girls were left at the time of GD Konstantin's death. Zeepvat says the story about him beating his wife with a stick
comes from Prince Christopher of Greece, but surely he (born 1888) was too young to have witnessed this incident personally.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow. (Mark Twain)

Offline Nadya_Arapov

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2006, 08:04:06 PM »
I've also wondered how accurate the Prince's account of his grandfather was. Surely most of it was second hand  information handed down to him by relatives. That doesn't mean it wasn't true but it was hearsay. I would like to know more about Anna and the two surviving daughters. Anna was apparently a talented mime as a ballerina. She was the illegitimate daughter of a ballerina Tatyana Markianovna Kuznetzova and Vassili Andreevich Karatygin (or Karatyguine) an actor. That's about all I've been able to discover about Anna and the Kniazeva girls. :-[

Offline Nadya_Arapov

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2006, 02:54:59 AM »
I've discovered a bit more about Anna Kuznetzova's father. According to the following sources: "Russian Theater from the Empire to the Soviets," by Marc Slonim and http://www.abcgallery.com/T/tropinin/tropininbio.html

Vassili Karatyghin (1802-1853) was in his day a famous Russian actor "renowned for his parts in classical plays and in Shakespeare repertoire." He had a well-publicized rivalry with another leading actor of the day Pavel Mochalov. He was said to be tall and handsome, possessing great ability as an actor. He was considered the "King of the Alexandrinsky (Theater)," and supposedly influenced a whole generation of Russian actors. Among his best-known roles were Hamlet, Louis XI, and Leicester in Mary Stuart, Coriolanus, Don Carlos, and Karl Moore in Schiller's The Robbers.

Vassili's brother Peter (1805-1879) was a comedic actor & playwright.

A link to an article about him at wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasily_Karatygin

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 09:26:19 AM by Svetabel »

Offline Nadya_Arapov

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2006, 03:41:55 AM »
Vassili was apparently also a playwright. Here is another article about him:

http://www.encspb.ru/en/article.php?kod=2804031152

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2006, 04:08:52 PM »
GDss Alexandra Iosifovna - 2 more pics

Offline lori_c

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2007, 12:56:18 PM »
Can anyone explain if there were blood ties between Alexandra Iosifovna throught the Saxe Altenburg branch to Ella or Alix?  Sorry if the questions been asked before, but in Camera and the Tsars by Charlotte Zeepvat, two pictures show a striking resemblance to Ella. (IMO).  Any help would be appreciated. :)

Lori

Offline brnbg aka: liljones1968

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2007, 11:44:54 AM »

Aleksandra Iosifovna & Olga Konstantinovna

Olga Konstantinovna
"when i die, i hope i go like my grandfather --
peacefully in my sleep; not screaming & in terror,
like the passengers in his car."

-- anonymous

Offline gogm

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • Grand Ladies
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2008, 02:02:55 PM »
At the risk of re-posting, here are some images of Alexandra Iosifovna:

She looked wonderful in crinolines:

A spectacular Winterhalter portrait:

The next three show her wonderful taste in day dress:

The next three with her daughter, Queen Olga of Greece:

She's seated at the left in this often-posted photo:

The ones that may not have been posted here before come from Foros Realeza.

:) :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 02:53:24 AM by Svetabel »

ArchDss Louise-Henriette

« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2008, 11:13:47 PM »
Alexandra Iosifovna by Kaulbach

Offline lori_c

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2008, 02:39:55 PM »
Was AI a Romanov by blood as well?   I read she was a descendant of Tsar Paul.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2008, 04:18:42 PM »
A Wurttemberg cousin of hers married Tsar Paul but I don't think she was a descendant of him.

Interestingly, Queen Mary's father was a first cousin of AI's. (Her mother and Duke Alexander were siblings) I wonder if being 2nd cousins with Queen Olga (they got to know each other at Rumpenheim gatherings, not Romanov ones) helped to influence Queen Olga's good opinion of May which she passed onto George V when he was wondering about marriage.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 04:24:46 PM by grandduchessella »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline gogm

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • Grand Ladies
« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2008, 02:45:27 PM »
Interesting question. Paul was half-Russian and half-German (Sophie of Anhalt-Zerbst), but not a Romanov. Elizabeth was the last Romanov ruler - ever.