Author Topic: Curse of the Romanovs, by Staton Rabin  (Read 17572 times)

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Curse of the Romanovs, by Staton Rabin
« on: November 25, 2006, 06:45:53 PM »
Curse of the Romanovs, by Staton Rabin
Due July 2007
McElderry Books (an imprint of Simon & Schuster)

http://www.amazon.com/Curse-Romanovs-Staton-Rabin/dp/1416902082/sr=8-1/qid=1164501277/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-7971130-9772846?ie=UTF8&s=books

Not much info is out yet, but I understand this book is to be a young adult novel with some fantasy elements, narrated by Aleksei.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline azrael7171918

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Curse of the Romanovs, by Staton Rabin
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 06:47:50 PM »
 I found some more info at Allbooks.com  It is a time travel book with Alexie escaping Rasputin by going into the future where he meets a relative who is working on a cure for Hemophilia.

Az

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 08:52:57 PM »
What an abhorrent book!

Margarita
  :-X

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 02:11:32 PM »

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 03:12:21 PM »
I found some more info at Allbooks.com  It is a time travel book with Alexie escaping Rasputin by going into the future where he meets a relative who is working on a cure for Hemophilia.

Az

Sounds like quite a fantasy. Has anyone ever read this, and if so, can they post what they think? It doesn't sound like it would be very good.. ;)

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 03:48:46 PM »
I've read it, but I really can't reveal my opinion without some heavy-duty spoilers. Please PM me if you're interested.
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline FairyCutie86

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 05:33:34 PM »
I think it sounds interesting.  I saw this when I was looking at the post about "Crimson Snow" at the top of the forum.  I love historical fiction, no matter how crazy or out of place the topic is.

Offline Divia

• Warrior Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 10:10:26 AM »
Ineresting.

Dunno if my patrons would read such a novel, but as a person who reads/writes historical fiction I really wish writers(good ones)w ould tap into Russian History a bit more. I'm growing tired of the neverending Tudor novels.
Enjoy historical fiction? Come join us at : http://www.historicalfiction.org/forums/index.php

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 08:01:25 PM »
I'll say this much: Staton Rabin has done her Romanov homework, right down to the gender of Aleksei's dog. As best as I can remember, any historical discrepancies in Curse of the Romanovs were made deliberately to fit the plot of the fantasy.

The book did not appeal to me because in the end I simply was not comfortable with the extent of the dramatic liberties the author took with the imperial family's history.

Offline Divia

• Warrior Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 02:06:22 PM »
I dont mind it so much when authors change things for their story. Historical fiction is just that...fiction. It isnt fact, it isnt non fiction.
Enjoy historical fiction? Come join us at : http://www.historicalfiction.org/forums/index.php

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 06:15:30 PM »
To each his own. :)

Offline Divia

• Warrior Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 05:00:15 AM »
Yes indeed. 

Though there is this constant argument on historical fiction forums and I never truly understood it. Fiction is not true. Non-fiction(unless we are dealing with a million little pieces) is true. While not all historians get the facts right and they do argue their pov they make an effort to present the information in a historical manner. The same cannot be said for historical fiction writers. We do a lot of research for our books but not everything is 100% true.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 08:38:54 AM »
There should definitely be a happy medium, but it's hard to satisfy everyone. I know I'm MUCH more particular about historical accuracy when the main characters are real people.

Offline Divia

• Warrior Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 06:11:39 PM »
author carolly Erickson says in her books that they are "historical entertainment." Which I think is quite interesting. Her latest book is about Empress Josephine, though I daresay it is very much entertainment. I guess such things do not bother me. I like a good story.

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 10:03:47 AM »
I'll say this much: Staton Rabin has done her Romanov homework, right down to the gender of Aleksei's dog. As best as I can remember, any historical discrepancies in Curse of the Romanovs were made deliberately to fit the plot of the fantasy.

The book did not appeal to me because in the end I simply was not comfortable with the extent of the dramatic liberties the author took with the imperial family's history.

Sarah: This is exactly my opinion about the book, except it did appeal to me. Here's why: any fantasy which takes the Family out of their bleak circumstances during the war or exile and imprisonment to me is welcome. But, I, too was uncomfortable with the license.