Author Topic: Curse of the Romanovs, by Staton Rabin  (Read 17584 times)

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
Re: Curse of the Romanovs, by Staton Rabin
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 07:11:23 PM »
... except it did appeal to me. Here's why: any fantasy which takes the Family out of their bleak circumstances during the war or exile and imprisonment to me is welcome. But, I, too was uncomfortable with the license.

The "bleak curcumstances" were indeed real and IMHO to provide a gloss to these realities for the sake of novel does not provide me with just a modicum of discomfort.

Margarita

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 08:36:37 PM »
... except it did appeal to me. Here's why: any fantasy which takes the Family out of their bleak circumstances during the war or exile and imprisonment to me is welcome. But, I, too was uncomfortable with the license.

The "bleak curcumstances" were indeed real and IMHO to provide a gloss to these realities for the sake of novel does not provide me with just a modicum of discomfort.

Margarita

This is a novel intended for a young adult audience - I am not in their demographic. There is no gloss at all involved - have you read the book, Margarita? The issue that Sarah and I have is that pertinent facts are ignored for the sake of the story. It's not a matter of glossing over what really happened, it's altering facts (and in defense of the author, he/she does make explain in the notes following the book where artistic license has been taken).

I think that Orthodox Christians may object to saints in their church being depicted as fictional characters. And others may object for their own reasons.

However, many of us live in free societies where we are able to make such decisions for ourselves as to whether or not to purchase or read a book. If you are able to make such decisions for yourself, you may consider all the information on this thread in making your decision.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 10:25:32 PM »
However, many of us live in free societies where we are able to make such decisions for ourselves as to whether or not to purchase or read a book. If you are able to make such decisions for yourself, you may consider all the information on this thread in making your decision.

Indeed. And I would hope that anyone offering "information" about this book -- or any other, for that matter -- would have the courtesy to read it before passing judgement. Frankly, I do not like Curse of the Romanovs, but I will stand up for its right to fair and informed commentary nevertheless.

If you object to the premise of the book on principle, that's fine and dandy. Goodness knows there's plenty of stuff I won't touch with a 10-foot pole, and I'll be the first to admit I have a heavy bias against historical fiction that significantly alters history or historical figures. However, if you haven't actually read the book, it's only fair to say so.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 10:31:31 PM »

Margarita

... It's not a matter of glossing over what really happened, it's altering facts

I think that Orthodox Christians may object to saints in their church being depicted as fictional characters. And others may object for their own reasons.

One does not necessarily have to be a member of the Orthodox Church to be repelled by tasteless fiction such as this. As you have correctly written other factors can also contribute to one's objections.

However I do thank you in permitting me the freedom to "consider all the information on this thread".

Margarita

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 10:56:10 PM »
... And I would hope that anyone offering "information" about this book -- or any other, for that matter -- would have the courtesy to read it before passing judgement. Frankly, I do not like Curse of the Romanovs, but I will stand up for its right to fair and informed commentary nevertheless.

If you object to the premise of the book on principle, that's fine and dandy. Goodness knows there's plenty of stuff I won't touch with a 10-foot pole, and I'll be the first to admit I have a heavy bias against historical fiction that significantly alters history or historical figures. However, if you haven't actually read the book, it's only fair to say so.

Information about the deficiencies or merits of a given work of fiction can come from a number of sources, I am sure that you must agree.

From curiosity one can attempt to read the book because it was made available on the library or bookstore shelf. One can physically pick up the book and scan through it to gain an impression of content and writing style.  One can also take into consideration editorial and reader reviews to judge whether the purchase of the book is warranted.

Margarita

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 11:03:40 PM »
In other words, one hasn't read the book. Well, that's fine. One must make do with what one must make do.

I'm just guessing that the vampire novel in which Tatiana becomes a neck-biter after Rasputin, who is a VAMPIRE! bites her won't be one's cup of tea, either. Anyone else read that thing? It was hilarious. Tatiana teams up with Lord Byron (also a VAMPIRE!) and they fight the bad vampires.

I read it years ago, can't remember the author or title. Can anyone help? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 11:08:33 PM by Louis_Charles »
"Simon --- Classy AND Compassionate!"

"The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, so take snacks and a magazine."

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 11:45:37 PM »
Information about the deficiencies or merits of a given work of fiction can come from a number of sources, I am sure that you must agree.

As I'm sure you've noticed of late, we have vastly different opinions on a number of matters. In view of that, please refrain in future from presuming to be "sure" of what I agree with.

From curiosity one can attempt to read the book because it was made available on the library or bookstore shelf. One can physically pick up the book and scan through it to gain an impression of content and writing style.  One can also take into consideration editorial and reader reviews to judge whether the purchase of the book is warranted.

I find it interesting that you have avoided Lisa's question ("...have you read the book, Margarita?") and also skirted my follow-up. Further, precisely as I suggested, all of the methods of analysis you propose involve reading some portion of the book, or at the very least gleaning information from those who have read it in its entirety. If you give a book a try and didn't like it, fine -- but again, it's only fair to say as much so that others can make informed decisions. If on the other hand your opinions of "a given work of fiction" are derived from others' analyses, those sources deserve credit.

But let's quit pretending we're talking hypothetically. This thread concerns Curse of the Romanovs and Lisa's question still stands: Have you read the book -- or any portion thereof?
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 11:53:28 PM »
In other words, one hasn't read the book. Well, that's fine. One must make do with what one must make do.

Did one say that?

...Tatiana teams up with Lord Byron (also a VAMPIRE!) and they fight the bad vampires.

One can only wonder about the impressions made by those "bad vampires".

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2007, 11:58:52 PM »
One wonders about a lot of things, but not about that. You've clearly not read the book. Neither have I, for that matter, but my library training militates against the suggestion that books should be condemned unread. Go read it (I'll do the same) and then we can share our opinions. Our informed opinions. That'll be fun.

"Simon --- Classy AND Compassionate!"

"The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, so take snacks and a magazine."

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2007, 12:02:04 AM »
... As I'm sure you've noticed of late, we have vastly different opinions on a number of matters. In view of that, please refrain in future from presuming to be "sure" of what I agree with.

A conversational expression on my part. Most regretable that its inclusion in my previous post may have offended you.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2007, 12:08:58 AM »
One wonders about a lot of things, but not about that. You've clearly not read the book. Neither have I, for that matter, but my library training militates against the suggestion that books should be condemned unread. Go read it (I'll do the same) and then we can share our opinions. Our informed opinions. That'll be fun.

An exchange and acceptance of differing opinions on this thread, what a novel idea!

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2007, 12:16:11 AM »

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2007, 12:26:13 AM »

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
    • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2007, 12:01:29 PM »
Read it, thanks Lisa, had some merits... it was okay.  Probably would have liked it a lot if I had read it at 14...
So long and thanks for all the fish

Offline Divia

• Warrior Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2007, 03:15:30 PM »
Well I'll confess I havent read it and until a week or so ago I didnt know it even exsisted.  That being said I have read more historical fiction than I wish to confess. I also write it.  I'm not and never have been one to get their knickers in a knot if an author decides to take creative liberties and change somethings. In fact, I daresay there are few HF novels that I have read that havent taken liberties. Philipa Gregory does it quite frequently. Caroly Erickson does as it as well. Now if it is good or not that is a different discussion.

Frankly, it matters little to me if the events are all true or not. And if the author wrote a little summary at the end saying it wasnt then what is the problem. The point is this is a YA book and if just one of my patrons reads it, likes it and wants to read more on the Romanovs or anyone else..or wishes to read more historical fiction then I say excellent. The author succeeded in their job and as a librarian I am pleased.

Enjoy historical fiction? Come join us at : http://www.historicalfiction.org/forums/index.php