Author Topic: Curse of the Romanovs, by Staton Rabin  (Read 17570 times)

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Curse of the Romanovs, by Staton Rabin
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2007, 06:24:58 PM »
... except it did appeal to me. Here's why: any fantasy which takes the Family out of their bleak circumstances during the war or exile and imprisonment to me is welcome. But, I, too was uncomfortable with the license.

The "bleak curcumstances" were indeed real and IMHO to provide a gloss to these realities for the sake of novel does not provide me with just a modicum of discomfort.

Margarita

... It's not a matter of glossing over what really happened, it's altering facts

I think that Orthodox Christians may object to saints in their church being depicted as fictional characters. And others may object for their own reasons.

However, many of us live in free societies where we are able to make such decisions for ourselves as to whether or not to purchase or read a book. If you are able to make such decisions for yourself, you may consider all the information on this thread in making your decision.

One does not necessarily have to be a member of the Orthodox Church to be repelled by tasteless fiction such as this. As you have correctly written other factors can also contribute to one's objections.

However I do thank you in permitting me the freedom to "consider all the information on this thread".

Margarita

While I am a proud descendant of the patriot Samuel Adams, I have nothing whatsoever to do with granting you (or anyone else) freedoms in making one's own decisions.

I made the remark about Orthodox Christians because we have many of that faith who post here and also are readers of YA fiction. I did not characterize the book as "tasteless". If this is your opinion, have you read the book?

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2007, 06:42:54 PM »
I think that Orthodox Christians may object to saints in their church being depicted as fictional characters.

They may object, but the Russian imperial family members are historical characters before they are RO saints, so that makes them fair game for historical fiction (good, bad and mediocre, just like all other historical characters... 

Offline Divia

• Warrior Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2007, 08:14:17 PM »
I think that Orthodox Christians may object to saints in their church being depicted as fictional characters.

They may object, but the Russian imperial family members are historical characters before they are RO saints, so that makes them fair game for historical fiction (good, bad and mediocre, just like all other historical characters... 

Indeed it does. Besides that there are many books written about saints. For example:
The King's nun
The Barefoot Girl
Sister Teresa
Warrior Girl(Joan of Arc)

Futhermore, there are books/comics about the Catholic Church. If one objects due to religious reasons and cannot read a book, then so be it. But that doesnt mean said book shouldn't be written. If that were the case then a great deal many books wouldnt be written..
Enjoy historical fiction? Come join us at : http://www.historicalfiction.org/forums/index.php

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2007, 01:00:53 PM »
To be clear, I am okay with saints being part of the world of fiction. Not everyone is. In order to be tolerant, one must consider that there are many differing points of view.

What I said was - and I am sorry this is not clearer - we have many young adult readers who frequent the Forum. Many of these young adults are also Orthodox Christians. I was letting them know that this may be objectionable to some of them, or perhaps their parents. It is not objectionable to me personally. I was only seeking to inform which is after all one of the duties of a moderator.

Offline Divia

• Warrior Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2007, 04:03:43 PM »
I think you would be quite shocked by what teens read. Do you know how many girls come to me and say "I want a book about rape." 

But I can understand you wanting to give them the heads up to make their own decision.

:)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 04:24:03 PM by Divia »
Enjoy historical fiction? Come join us at : http://www.historicalfiction.org/forums/index.php

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2007, 04:30:47 PM »
I think you would be quite shocked by what teens read. Do you know how many girls come to me and say "I want a book about rape." 

But I can understand you wanting to give them the heads up to make their own decision.

:)

Actually, I wouldn't be - I am the mother of two teenage girls and their friends also spend alot of time at our home. I encourage our daughters to read widely and extensively. We also encourage them to make their own decisions, which is of course a decidedly mixed blessing, as many parents know.

Offline Divia

• Warrior Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2007, 08:37:47 PM »
You, are a rarity, but as a librarian you would be the type of parent I would want in my corner.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2007, 01:51:44 PM »
I am a librarian too but thankfully I don't have to work with teens! :-p ;-)  But you are right, I think reading a book like this one, although it may not be ideal, it certainly beats some other ones they may choose to read...

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2007, 09:29:35 AM »
So I ordered it and read it. The premise is no worse than several other books with similar themes (i.e. time travel --- in particular the "Mr. Wicker" series by Carley Dawson, now sadly out of print) but the writing itself is clunky, and the plot is completely dependent upon soap-opera coincidence. I don't want to spoil anything, but there is one plot element in particular that should send you right over the edge, Margarita. Even for a work of fantasy, there is no internal logic at all. But the odd thing is that the author includes pages and pages giving the correct history of the Romanovs and the Revolution, and it is very clear from throwaway lines in the book that she has more than done her homework. Very frustrating that she would produce this and not something that could actually educate.

My favorite part? That Alexei meets and falls in love with someone named "Varda Rosenberg", and that he is test-messaging just before the trip to the cellar. In slang.

Okay, Margarita. Your turn.

Simon
"Simon --- Classy AND Compassionate!"

"The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, so take snacks and a magazine."

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2007, 07:35:44 PM »
So I ordered it and read it.

Okay, Margarita. Your turn.

Simon

My final impression extended to firmly closing the cover of the book and then discarding it in a less than ceremonious manner into the garbage bin (not even considering it worthy for environmental recycling).

Margarita
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 07:38:20 PM by Belochka »

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2007, 09:15:29 PM »
So you read it?

"The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, so take snacks and a magazine."

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2007, 06:58:19 AM »
I'll take that as a "no", then.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2007, 06:37:13 AM »
It sounds like complete and utter rubbish. Margarita is a very good judge of these things.

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2007, 08:53:30 AM »
You forgot to mention that Anna Anderson was a fraud, Dmitri. You're slowing down.

Margarita has not read the book, which means that her opinion  is flawed. Although delivered with proper aristocratic disdain.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2007, 01:35:42 PM »
How bizarre.