Author Topic: Curse of the Romanovs, by Staton Rabin  (Read 17559 times)

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Curse of the Romanovs, by Staton Rabin
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2007, 07:47:49 PM »
What, that she would condemn a book that she has not read? I know. I agree, but what are we two against so many, Dmitri?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 08:01:24 PM by Louis_Charles »
"Simon --- Classy AND Compassionate!"

"The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, so take snacks and a magazine."

Offline Grand Duchess Marishka

• View Profile
    • Ponaganset Hogwarts
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2008, 07:41:29 AM »
I liked and didn't like this book. I can't really explain why...It might just be that I don't mind historical fiction, even when the author takes an insane amount of liberties. I think what mainly bothered me was the overuse of irony.

The author obviously knew what she was talking about (what with all the references and "fact or fiction" bits? in the back of her book), but much of the story seemed too ironic. I won't give any spoilers or anything, but the fact of the matter is that everything just seemed too coincidental. I liked the characters--I did--though I also think they could have been fleshed out a little more.

I don't recommend this to any hardcore Romanov fans mainly because I think people might be offended by various concepts in the book. (Even I was offended by some!) But if you read it as a fiction (with familiar people as the main characters), rather than a generally historically accurate story, you might be all right. All I can say is that it's certainly not Robert Alexander's "Kitchen Boy".

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2008, 12:33:12 PM »
I liked and didn't like this book. I can't really explain why...It might just be that I don't mind historical fiction, even when the author takes an insane amount of liberties. I think what mainly bothered me was the overuse of irony.

The author obviously knew what she was talking about (what with all the references and "fact or fiction" bits? in the back of her book), but much of the story seemed too ironic. I won't give any spoilers or anything, but the fact of the matter is that everything just seemed too coincidental. I liked the characters--I did--though I also think they could have been fleshed out a little more.

I don't recommend this to any hardcore Romanov fans mainly because I think people might be offended by various concepts in the book. (Even I was offended by some!) But if you read it as a fiction (with familiar people as the main characters), rather than a generally historically accurate story, you might be all right. All I can say is that it's certainly not Robert Alexander's "Kitchen Boy".

These are some great insights!

I, too, became annoyed at improbable plot points and limited character development. I probably would have been less annoyed had the author seemed less knowledgable about the period and the historical persons involved.

And, Simon, I too, do not consider that an unread book is something I would comment on or review. I have read some horrific books on the Romanovs, but the thing is, I did read them.

Offline amartin71718

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2008, 04:42:27 PM »
I just finished reading this book. It was pretty good, except for a few wierd parts.
I'm back on my bull****.

Offline amartin71718

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2008, 05:25:56 PM »
In other words, one hasn't read the book. Well, that's fine. One must make do with what one must make do.

I'm just guessing that the vampire novel in which Tatiana becomes a neck-biter after Rasputin, who is a VAMPIRE! bites her won't be one's cup of tea, either. Anyone else read that thing? It was hilarious. Tatiana teams up with Lord Byron (also a VAMPIRE!) and they fight the bad vampires.

I read it years ago, can't remember the author or title. Can anyone help? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
Tatiana? A vampire? What will they think of next?
I'm back on my bull****.

Offline rosieposie

• Graf
  • Eva Duarte de Peron, May 7 1919 - July 26 1952
    • View Profile
Time Travel story with Alexei and Rasputin (seems foul)
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2010, 07:19:37 AM »
Hey guys while looking for Romanov books on Amazon I came across this book title "Curse of the Romanovs".   Now I could be biased as I watched a time travelling show back in the mid/late 90s titled Mirror Mirror (an Australian series) where one of the main characters is Alexei who goes by the name Nicholas to protect his identity. 

Anyways after reading the summary it seems like a Romanov fanfiction mixed with subplot of Anastasia (1997).

I don't think this woman has done any research on the Romanovs just outlining basics. LOL.

http://www.amazon.com/Curse-Romanovs-Staton-Rabin/dp/1416902082/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266325591&sr=8-6
Beautiful faithful Nargony.
Thanks Emily!

Miranda:" Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place."
"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) Movie.

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
    • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
Re: Time Travel story with Alexei and Rasputin (seems foul)
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2010, 10:38:02 AM »
A much better time travel involving the Imperial Family is called TIME AFTER TIME by Allen Appel.  It's out of print, but it's nicely written and lots of fun.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Offline Gorseheart

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2010, 09:06:22 PM »
I enjoyed this book. I don't wanna spoil it, but it had ups and downs like any Historical Fiction.
"Today is like yesterday and tomorrow will be the same as today.  God, help us! Take pity of us!"~ Tsarevich Alexei Nikolaevich Romanov