Author Topic: Crownprince Wilhelm & Crownprincess Cecilie, their family, Part I  (Read 304625 times)

Adagietto

Re: Crownprince Wilhelm & Crownprincess Cecilie, their family, Part I
« Reply #195 on: October 29, 2007, 06:38:39 AM »
This is just a magnified vesrion of the same image:

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 29, 2007, 10:07:54 AM »
I think this portrait is one of the three best of the great beauty I've seen. Simply stunning. I guess the vintage is about 1910.

Kaiser Wilhelm should have used Cecilie as a PR campaign more than he did! In addition to her fabulous appearance, she was a wonderfully interesting person as well. An excellent combination for building relationships on the political playing field.
HerrKaiser

Adagietto

« Reply #197 on: October 29, 2007, 01:00:51 PM »
Unfortunately it doesn't seem that the Kaiser appreciated where the best interests of his dynasty lay in this regard; after all, he was jealous of the Crown Prince's popularity and to keep him on the sidelines in Danzig.

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 29, 2007, 04:27:56 PM »
I didn't realize WII was THAT jealous of his oldest son. Unfortunatly, had the crown prince and princess been visible on a global scale and made good will tours (similar to WII himself), the public opinion, especially in England and Russia could have been such that the people would have demanded that the war not commence. maybe.

Where in Danzig did Cecilie and William live? Danzig wa such a beautiful city prior to its destruction in WWII.
HerrKaiser

Eric_Lowe

« Reply #199 on: October 29, 2007, 08:23:20 PM »
I heard Kaiser Bill was fond of his daughter-in-law.  :)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #200 on: October 29, 2007, 10:49:08 PM »
For anyone in Amarillo, Texas:

The four homes on the St. Andrew's Episcopal School Spring Tour of Homes couldn't be more diverse, but all intrigue in their own way.
One - featured in both Life and Look magazines - was designed for a Germann princess bride....

2410 Van Buren St.'Built for a princess'

Clyde Harris designed this home for himself and his wife. The couple and their home have been featured in both Life and Look magazines. Harris served in World War II, after which he was assigned to recover European art pilfered by the Nazis. During his post-war military service, he met his wife-to-be, who was a cousin of Queen Elizabeth II. He married Princess Cecelia Victoria Anastasia Zita Thyra Adelheid of Prussia in her family's castle. The Amarillo home includes an oval entry and paintings by Harris. Current homeowners commissioned the late Dick Reynolds to create hand-painted frames around works by Harris and to adorn the oval ceiling. It's currently owned by Mr. and Mrs. Gary Pfeffer.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 30, 2007, 10:14:49 AM »
Thanks Grandduchess! Almost makes one want to get on a plane and head for Amarillo.

Cecilie's life and story is perhaps more of a drama and filled with more of the Hollywood "stuff" that would make for a wonderful bio drama. Did she retain any large amounts of keepsakes from her mother or had all those items been essentially willed to her oldest brothers?
HerrKaiser

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #202 on: October 30, 2007, 01:08:25 PM »
Cecilie and Kira lived in Amarillo, as Cecile was dependent on financial support from her brother.  Cecilie sought medical treatment in Germany.  She became an American citizen several years after her marriage.    Kira is a private individual, who lives quietly (we chat at least month a month) in Texas, and keeps in contact with some of her German cousins.  Cecilie had no real contact with Victoria Marina and her family.
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 30, 2007, 01:28:25 PM »
thanks Marlene, appreciate your personal information.

I know your friendship with Cecilie and Kira is something you protect and understandably so, but are you able to provide some insights to the sense of loss or pain of the devastation experienced by Germany and her family? Americans who fall from the highest levels of influence and power seem to have a lifelong embitterment and sense they can still regain their once held position. Did you find this true with Cecilie? thank you in advance for any thoughts you are able to share.
HerrKaiser

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #204 on: November 01, 2007, 04:10:50 PM »
Cecilie was raised to marry well ... but she fell in love with an American soldier

wonderful picture, Danjel! This looks like a mid-1930s vintage, yes? Did she and her siblings get a more solid education in order to survive in the post-monarchy world?

This photo would be nice if taken a bit more wide so we could see her Mercedes (I assume it was such!).  ;)

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #205 on: November 01, 2007, 04:13:58 PM »
I never knew Cecilie ... I am friends with Kira - we are the same age.  However, I would not agree with your statement about Americans.

thanks Marlene, appreciate your personal information.

I know your friendship with Cecilie and Kira is something you protect and understandably so, but are you able to provide some insights to the sense of loss or pain of the devastation experienced by Germany and her family? Americans who fall from the highest levels of influence and power seem to have a lifelong embitterment and sense they can still regain their once held position. Did you find this true with Cecilie? thank you in advance for any thoughts you are able to share.

Adagietto

« Reply #206 on: November 03, 2007, 03:08:13 PM »
Very nice too, especially the last.

Have we had any pictures of her in uniform? Here she is on horseback in the uniform of her dragoon regiment:

With Viktoria Luise:

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 05, 2007, 10:11:30 AM »
Cecilie is one of the few, if not the only, top level royal to be photographed in artful "posed" positions that are more exemplary of latter 20th century portrait work than the early part of the century. She is seen kneeling on a chair, leaning on the arm rests, lying on the floor, etc. Quite wonderful and unique.
HerrKaiser

Eric_Lowe

« Reply #208 on: November 05, 2007, 07:41:14 PM »
Yes...But she was critized by the conservation Prussian junkers for being "too progessive".... :(

Cambria_Coheed

« Reply #209 on: November 07, 2007, 12:06:43 AM »