Author Topic: Crownprince Wilhelm & Crownprincess Cecilie, their family, Part I  (Read 306771 times)

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Crownprince Wilhelm & Crownprincess Cecilie, their family, Part I
« Reply #240 on: March 13, 2008, 10:31:01 AM »
What a wondeful photo Adagietto! Young Prinz Wilhelm looks very much like his mother, yes? Very good looking man.

I do not agree, however, that it is unfair to suggest that WII's biographers hold a certain prejudice in their view of him. Even those who strive to be unbiased are victims of what they know, what they don't know, and the effect of years of ingrained knowledge in one direction. An extreme example, but it makes the point, is that it would be quite difficult to find a biographer to write about Hitler or Stalin without a starting point of the conventional view.

Many people theorize that had WII not been Kaiser, Germany and the world would be ever so different. Many others believe the powers well beyond the reach of WII guided the national and global direction regardless who was on the throne. I am more in the latter's camp. Fact is also that from 1888 to 1914--26 years--Germany enjoyed the greatest period of peace, prosperity, social enhancement, culturual growth, etc, than ever before or since. What period of 26 years has the rest of the world been at peace?

Princess Jil....Wilhelm II did have a deformed left arm due to complications during birth. He never has use of the arm and it never grew normally. As a result, he did try to hide it and was always photographed in ways to shield the deformity. It appears he was extremely self conscious about the disability and was teased about it, even by family members. Such abuse does lead to personality quirks that are not so attractive.

HerrKaiser

Adagietto

« Reply #241 on: April 01, 2008, 02:46:55 PM »
This thread is worth continuing, so here are some pictures to start it off again. They show Prince Friedrich (1911-66), the fourth and youngest son of Crown Prince Wilhelm; he was in England during the war, presumably as a prisoner of war, and married an Englishwoman in 1945, a daughter of the Earl of Iveagh. Does anyone know anything more about him, or have any later pictures? A very handsome child; in the first photo he looks like Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau.

I'm not overfond of pictures of children in uniform, but this has a touchingly sad air.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #242 on: April 01, 2008, 07:37:22 PM »
Here is what Time had to say about Prince Frederick:

"One of doddering old Kaiser Wilhelm's spruce young grandsons, Prince Friedrich of Prussia, finding himself in England at outbreak of war, streaked for the Scottish Highlands to stay with his friends, the scrawny Duke and beauteous Duchess of Buccleuch & Queensbury. At the Coronation in 1937 the Duchess helped to hold the canopy over the Queen. As Governor of the Royal Bank of Scotland the Duke has as his subordinate (Deputy Governor) the Queen's father, the Earl of Strathmore. The Duke's sister is the Duchess of Gloucester, sister-in-law of King George. On top of everything the Duke of Buccleuch & Queensbury held the honorary job of Lord Steward of the Royal Household.

That Prince Friedrich of Prussia should lie snug in a household so close to the British Royal Family was not to be endured in wartime, more especially since the Duke had for years spoken highly in Mayfair drawing rooms of what a good job Hitler was doing in Germany. So three weeks ago Prince Friedrich was moved to an ordinary internment camp. Last week London learned that the King had been graciously pleased to discharge the Duke of Buccleuch & Queensbury from his sinecure on May 10 last and appoint the Duke of Hamilton & Brandon to be Lord Steward."

Frederick had worked for 6 months at Schroeder's Bank in London and was a favorite in London. In 1937 he had attended the coronation of George VI. He was described as one of the 'best-dressed' of young men. He was also an aviation enthusiast.

It was rumored that his death was a suicide. His body was pulled from the Rhine River near Bingen amid stories of divorce--his wife had apparently filed for divorce the day he disappeared. I guess the Prince had been in Germany for the wedding of Duke Carl Gregor of Mecklenburg married Princess Maria Margareta of Hohenzollern. He had married Lady Brigid Guiness (related to the Irish brewing family) in 1945. (She remarried) They had 5 children--the youngest, Antonia, is married to Charles Wellesley, Marquess of Douro, heir to the Duke of Wellington. Their son and heir is married to Jemma Kidd. A Guinness cousin, Lucy, married the artist Philip de Laszlo (who painted a lovely portrait of Antonia's grandmother Cecile). Prince Friedrich had become a naturalized British citizen and had once taken the Anglicized name of Mansfield but later resumed his royal titles.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 05:13:08 AM by Svetabel »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 01, 2008, 07:46:34 PM »
he became a POW as an ordinary citizen?
HerrKaiser

Adagietto

« Reply #244 on: April 02, 2008, 04:16:30 AM »
Thanks for all the info and the later photos of him. What a strange course his life took; a shame that it should have ended so sadly.

In answer to HerrKaiser's query, most Germans who found themselves in Britain at the outbreak of the war were interned for security reasons, mostly in hotels and boarding-houses on the Isle of Man I believe. Since the Prince married in July 1945, it doesn't look as if he was kept interned throughout the war (as would certainly have been the case if he had been a POW).

Adagietto

« Reply #245 on: April 04, 2008, 03:21:47 AM »
That's an interesting point!

The picture of Kira with Kaiserin Hermine didn't come out above; here it is. She looks so radiant in this, quite the nicest photo I have seen of her.

Since that's not strictly relevant to the thread, one or two that are. First Louis Ferdinand as a baby:

Elder brother Wilhelm:

Little Prince Wilhelm's morning walk:

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 04, 2008, 09:13:34 AM »
Little Louis Ferdinand's hair style looks like it was the prototype for colin Farrell's look!
HerrKaiser

ArchDss Louise-Henriette

« Reply #247 on: April 22, 2008, 11:10:31 AM »
Prinz Wilhelm & Prinz Louis Ferdinand

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 22, 2008, 06:37:32 PM »
very nice photo of the brothers. Is it possible that they had some sort of an armband on their upper arms? it appears something has been retouched out of the photo.
HerrKaiser

ArchDss Louise-Henriette

« Reply #249 on: May 09, 2008, 01:45:17 PM »
Prinz Wilhelm von Preussen

ArchDss Louise-Henriette

« Reply #250 on: May 09, 2008, 01:50:49 PM »
Princess Cecilie's husband, Crown Prince Wilhelm

ArchDss Louise-Henriette

« Reply #251 on: May 09, 2008, 01:52:52 PM »
Crown Princess Cecilie & children
http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/455/046wh0.jpg

ArchDss Louise-Henriette

« Reply #252 on: May 09, 2008, 01:56:15 PM »
Austrian Ties ...  :)

Adagietto

« Reply #253 on: May 09, 2008, 04:25:28 PM »
His memoirs (English translation):
http://www.archive.org/details/memoirsofcrownpr00wilhuoft

An English wartime book, but much of it is fairer and more informative than one might expect:
http://www.archive.org/details/realcrownprincer00kingrich

He was an interesting character, self-indulgent and militaristic in outlook, but possessing a good deal of charm and more common sense than his father; he might have made quite a good monarch in happier times.

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 09, 2008, 05:18:51 PM »
Princess Cecilie's husband, Crown Prince Wilhelm

thanks for the picture. this is one of the more interesting photos I've seen of the crown prince. His intense glare is typical of his standard gaze but the close up provides a softer, more pleasing demeanor to his persona. He looks more like his father here.

that is quite a collar!
HerrKaiser