Author Topic: Crownprince Wilhelm & Crownprincess Cecilie, their family, Part I  (Read 284708 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Crownprince Wilhelm & Crownprincess Cecilie, their family, Part I
« Reply #315 on: October 24, 2008, 01:09:16 PM »
I read the marriage went sour early in their marriage but they stick with each other until after the first war.

Offline Adagietto

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 31, 2008, 05:56:49 AM »
Presumably just before her marriage:

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 31, 2008, 02:17:12 PM »
Nice detail on the dress.

Offline Adagietto

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 31, 2008, 06:31:45 PM »
It looks folksy, a sort of peasant pattern, perhaps not the kind of thing that she would have worn later on.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 31, 2008, 06:43:24 PM »
A play on the Russian peasent ?  ;)

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 02, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
That is very high-end German style embroidery. Not peasant by any stretch and definitely not Russian.
HerrKaiser

Offline Barbara of Hohenzollern

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 04, 2008, 06:08:23 AM »
I read the marriage went sour early in their marriage but they stick with each other until after the first war.

It's true. Sad to say the crown prince had many women while he was married. He had a very bad name in Germany, I beg apologize to write it here, he was used to be called the whore-goat (I hope I translate right), everybody knew that, he was very disliked because he did so.  I could not live with such a man and have with him one child after the other!

Offline Learning

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 04, 2008, 08:40:07 AM »
I think we've talked about this  before, but Cecilie lived at Schloss Cecilienhoff until the Russians got too close, then she went to Baden, correct? Did she have relatives there? Another castle or just an apartment? Was she financially comfortable until her death?

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 04, 2008, 10:54:28 AM »
First she lived in silesia with her six children, she refused to go to Holland with the crown prince. He was allowed to go back to Germany in 1923, if I remember right. But the years had partet them from each other.
They lived at Cecilienhof, that's true. After WWII Cecilie went to Bad Kissingen, there she lived in two poor rooms in a house, 'Villa Fürstenhof', in very simple conditions, she had not much money or funitures etc. 1952 she could move to a house in Stuttgart, which the crown prince, who died in 1951, had bought for her because they didn't live together, the marriage was broken. But she had had very hard times and seemed to be much older than she was and she had got different illness in the poor times, so she got a stroke in 1954 and died. Very sad story.  :(

This is the page about Cecilie at the official Page of the Prussian Family:

http://www.preussen.de/de/geschichte/kronprinz_wilhelm/kronprinzessin_cecilie.html
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 05:10:50 AM by Svetabel »

Offline Norbert

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 05, 2008, 11:07:19 AM »
she had a companion, Otto Groha. Her  legacy to him was challenged successfully in court by her family

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 05, 2008, 03:16:53 PM »
Yes, he helped her with many things. But they had no love affair. He was younger than her sons. He was sometimes strange, too, but she trusted him and wanted to give him precious things after her death and she told him many things about the Hohenzollern. The Hoehzollern family went to court after Cecilies death and said that she was mad and the things she gave to him should be given back.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 06, 2008, 02:54:58 PM »
I am sure her sister Adini (Queen of Denmark) helped Cecilie during her most needy times...

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 07, 2008, 05:30:27 AM »
I really hope so!  :( But if someone think about Cecilie in the Romm under the roof of the Fürstenhof, it coulnd't have been very much...

By  the way, do you know the mosaic in the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche in Berlin? I loved it very much when I was a little girl (and still do!!!), my mother and Grandpa had to go there with me very often. I loved an love Kaiser Friedrich III and my family liked him too since generations. But back to the mosaic:

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp298/Schweinehase/MosaikKronprinzessin_Cecilie__Kronp.jpg

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 07, 2008, 01:59:03 PM »
Yes...it works ! Thanks !

I love Fritz and Vicky too. Vicky was not an easy person to live with (so passionate and intelligent), and her disapointment with Willy was a hard pill to swallow. However I do think had she live long enough knew Cecilie, she would have been fond of her. Willy did not like Cecilie's mother (Grand Duchess Anastasia of Mecklenburg-Sherwin) and limit her stay in Berlin after the marriage.

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 07, 2008, 06:33:30 PM »
Thank you, Katenka and Eric!  :) I am very happy that you told this to me.

Oh Eric, you love him/them too? How nice!  :) I loved to hear this. To most people Friedrich is forgotten because he lived so short and so is his wife  :( .
I searched for Friedrichs picture from the mosaic but didn't found till yet. But I show you the part of the mosaic where Friedrich III is on. The Hohenzollern are at the church's ceiling from Burggraf Friedrich I (*1451 if I remember right so deep at night ;-) ) and on the right side from Jesus are the Hohenzollern ca from 1800, but only from the living ones are the women with them.

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp298/Schweinehase/friedrichunddieandernKWGK_Mosaik_03.jpg
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 06:40:13 PM by Barbara of Hohenzollern »