Author Topic: Daughters of Prince Nicolas: Olga, Elisabeth, Marina  (Read 215272 times)

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
Re: Daughters of Prince Nicolas: Olga, Elisabeth, Marina
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2006, 10:39:40 PM »
Most likely one of Xenia's younger sons... :D

And your source for this comment?
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Eric_Lowe

« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2006, 05:58:48 AM »
I think we are talking about "could have beens". It was no secret that the Romanovs liked to marry their cousins (especially the Greek ones since they are of the same religion). Both daughters of King George I married Romanovs and his wife (Queen Olga) is one also. The sons of Xenia seemed to be of the right age too with Ellen's girls. There was speculation that Marina could marry Alexei had he lived...

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2006, 06:20:36 AM »
I think there is a good chance Alexi would have married Ileana of Romounia.  I think Queen Marie of Romonia would have pushed this match.  Speculation on my behalf only-IMO.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Eric_Lowe

« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2006, 06:23:34 AM »
Yes but remember the bad feelings between Alicky & Missy...I don't think it could have happened.  :(

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2006, 10:03:39 AM »
You need to clarify your blanket statements ....

I would sincerely doubt that Marina would have married Alexis.  Finding a bride for Alexis, considering his precarious health, would have been dificult.   There were discussions regarding a marriage between Ileana and the Prince of the Asturias, but his disease made the marriage impossible.  Marie was not going to allow her daughter to marry the sickly Alfonso.

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2006, 07:25:37 PM »
You need to clarify your blanket statements ....

I would sincerely doubt that Marina would have married Alexis.  Finding a bride for Alexis, considering his precarious health, would have been dificult.   There were discussions regarding a marriage between Ileana and the Prince of the Asturias, but his disease made the marriage impossible.  Marie was not going to allow her daughter to marry the sickly Alfonso.

Marlene,

I respectively beg to differ.   ::) ::) ::)

It is my understanding that Missy was aganist and had apprehensions towards a Sapnish marriage for Ileana because Alfonso XIII was a womanizer and all that Baby Bee went through (including banishment) due to Alfonso XII's womanizing.  If you have additional info and you always do (that you may share), please let me know.  ;) ;) ;)

TampaBay
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by TampaBay »
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Eric_Lowe

« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2006, 04:48:37 AM »
No Marlene...It wasn't Missy that did not support the match between Alfonsito and Ileana. She was pretty much up for it, it was Alfonsito who refused it, he was then in love with Cecilie of Salm-Slam, who in turn refused him. This info I got from Ricardo Mateos Sanz Medrano, so I tend to believe him in this case.   :P

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2006, 09:16:42 AM »
Cäcilie Salm-Salm was indeed a possible bride -- and she had impeccable family connections (she and Alfonsito were second cousins), but Alfonsito pursued more than one bride, and Ileana was certainly on his hit list ...but it was largely impossible for any woman to settle down with him due to his health ... Cäcilie married in 1930

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2006, 09:19:21 AM »
Baby Bee's "banishment" was largely her own making - and the family did kiss and makeup -- and Bee was with Ena on the day the family went into exile.  Missy's own husband was a womanizer.  Alfonsito ruled himself out because of his health ... it would have been difficult for any princess to marry him
[/quote]

Marlene,

I respectively beg to differ.   ::) ::) ::)

It is my understanding that Missy was aganist and had apprehensions towards a Sapnish marriage for Ileana because Alfonso XIII was a womanizer and all that Baby Bee went through (including banishment) due to Alfonso XII's womanizing.  If you have additional info and you always do (that you may share), please let me know.  ;) ;) ;)

TampaBay
[/quote]

Offline trentk80

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2006, 09:08:38 PM »
Cäcilie Salm-Salm was indeed a possible bride -- and she had impeccable family connections (she and Alfonsito were second cousins), but Alfonsito pursued more than one bride, and Ileana was certainly on his hit list ...but it was largely impossible for any woman to settle down with him due to his health ... Cäcilie married in 1930

Princess Cecilia of Salm-Salm (1911-1991), was the daughter of Prince Emanuel of Salm-Salm and Archduchess Maria Christina of Austria, daughter of the Duke of Teschen and a first cousin of King Alfonso XIII. Cecilia married in 1930 Prince Franz Josef of Salm-Reifferscheidt-Krautheim und Dyck. She had impeccable family connections through her mother's side indeed,  but I don't think she was a good match considering that her father was not a royal.
Ladran los perros a la Luna, y ella con majestuoso desprecio prosigue el curso de su viaje.

Eric_Lowe

« Reply #145 on: March 31, 2006, 05:16:35 AM »
Dear Marlene,

I am a bit confused here. Did you say that Missy's own husband was a womanizer ? I don't think Nando was that, and certainly lack prove here. Why did Alfonso XII had anythinh to do with his son Alfonso XIII ? It could be a typo is it ? I was told that Missy took Ileana to meet up with Ena and Alfonsito and hoping for an engagement. When Alfonsito turned Ileana down, Missy was quite livid. That I heard from Spanish sources.

I think we should dicuss this in the Spanish or Romanian thread. This is for Wooley and we are all (me included) off topic here.  :(

Emilia

« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2006, 07:03:54 AM »
She had impeccable family connections through her mother's side indeed,  but I don't think she was a good match considering that her father was not a royal.

Her father´s family might not have been royal, but they were quite rich, which isn´t bad either... ;)

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #147 on: March 31, 2006, 01:17:44 PM »
]Of course, Ferdinand  had mistresses  ... geesh, acknowledged in various sources.  He was not faithful to Marie.

Dear Marlene,

I am a bit confused here. Did you say that Missy's own husband was a womanizer ? I don't think Nando was that, and certainly lack prove here. Why did Alfonso XII had anythinh to do with his son Alfonso XIII ? It could be a typo is it ? I was told that Missy took Ileana to meet up with Ena and Alfonsito and hoping for an engagement. When Alfonsito turned Ileana down, Missy was quite livid. That I heard from Spanish sources.

I think we should dicuss this in the Spanish or Romanian thread. This is for Wooley and we are all (me included) off topic here.  :(

Maria_Pavlovna

« Reply #148 on: May 04, 2006, 08:53:05 PM »

Pictures of Elizabeth with her parents and siblings in 1909.

The three Princesses with their favorite nanny Miss Kate Fox.

Princess Irene of Greece, Crown Princess Helen of Roumania and Princess Elizabeth of Greece.

Princess Nicholas of Greece with her daughters  Olga, Elizabeth, and Marina at the time of her husband's death.

Elizabeth's daughter Helen.

Princesses Paul of Yugoslavia, Marina of Kent, Countess Helen and Princess Alexandra of Kent. (a few years after Elizabeth's death)

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2006, 05:14:40 AM »

Young Elisabeth (middle) with her sisters Olga (left) and Marina (right)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by KarlandZita »
Reginei Mama Elena a Romaniei