Author Topic: Anastasia/Anna Anderson Documentary: Greg King, Penny Wilson, John Klier  (Read 12554 times)

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
Hey, all you UK peeps out there. Tuesday 3rd April at 8 pm there is a documentary on Channel5 ; "The Anastasia Mystery, The True Story"......did she die with her family...or did she escape with the Romanov Fortune. Sometimes Channel 5 do really good documentaries, sometimes they are infuriating. I'll let y'all know ;)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 06:08:48 PM by Alixz »
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline granduchess_leah

• Graf
    • View Profile
cool sounds interesting might just watch it

Offline Charlieee

• View Profile
To me, this doesn't sound a very good documentary. It just looks like they are going to follow the typical 'did Anastasia survive?' theories with Anna Anderson and others who posed to be her, when I thought it was common knowledge now that she didn't survive and either her bones have been mixed up with that of another Romanov or have never been found ???

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
Well, it was actually very good....but then it was a National Geographic production. There were no "surprises" and plenty of excellent film footage of the Imperial Family. Greg King, Penny Wilson, John Klier and Peter Sarandinaki all took part and it was so nice to put faces to names. The only GRRR factor was the usual misidentification of the girls, at one point "Maria" was actually Olga, Also, all the girls were misidentified in one photo. If you manage to catch it, it is well worth a look  ;)

Offline Penny_Wilson

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • kingandwilson
Well, it was actually very good....but then it was a National Geographic production. There were no "surprises" and plenty of excellent film footage of the Imperial Family. Greg King, Penny Wilson, John Klier and Peter Sarandinaki all took part and it was so nice to put faces to names. The only GRRR factor was the usual misidentification of the girls, at one point "Maria" was actually Olga, Also, all the girls were misidentified in one photo. If you manage to catch it, it is well worth a look  ;)

Oh my gosh, it's out!  We were told that it would be out in April, but I don't think any of us have seen it -- Peter Kurth was in it too, wasn't he?  I'm glad to hear that it was a good job -- the director was actually nominated for an Oscar in short-subject documentary last year, so I thought that it would most likely be very well constructed.

As for putting faces to names -- well, MY face has changed quite a bit since last September when our interviews were made.  In August last year, I took up body-building and I've lost about sixty pounds of fat and gained twenty-five pounds of muscle.  ;D  So I'll be interested to see my old self again....(cringe)    ;)

Can you tell me how long the show turned out to be?   Thanks!
"Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your ass off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts."  -- A Piece of Good Advice

Sometimes the truth hurts. And sometimes it feels real good. -- Henry Rollins

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
No need to cringe Penny, ;D.You and Greg are both a  lot younger than I imagined.It was on for an hour and I forgot to record it...doh
The first quarter dealt with events leading up to Ekaterinberg with a reconstruction of the murders in the cellar and subsequent burials. Then there was a section about Anna Anderson, DNA with Peter Gill and finally the reburial and some beautiful footage of the Cathedral on the Blood (a beautifully serene and peaceful place by the looks of it). All good stuff.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 01:57:35 AM by Kimberly »

Offline Penny_Wilson

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • kingandwilson
Thank you!

No need to cringe Penny, ;D.You and Greg are both a  lot younger than I imagined.It was on for an hour and I forgot to record it...doh
The first quarter dealt with events leading up to Ekaterinberg with a reconstruction of the murders in the cellar and subsequent burials. Then there was a section about Anna Anderson, DNA with Peter Gill and finally the reburial and some beautiful footage of the Cathedral on the Blood (a beautifully serene and peaceful place by the looks of it). All good stuff.
"Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your ass off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts."  -- A Piece of Good Advice

Sometimes the truth hurts. And sometimes it feels real good. -- Henry Rollins

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
I missed it too Kim.   Imagine being in Ikea instead of catching that documentary.   Drat!

You refer to the Cathedral of the Blood.   I assume it was the one in Ekaterinburg built on the site of the Ipatiev house.   Yes, it is a remarkable place - particularly the crypt.   Although the destruction of 'The House of Special Purpose, was an act of vandalism by the hand of Boris Yeltsin, I think Russia's last Imperial Family would themselves prefer the site of their gruesome murder be marked by a building like this.

Were there any 'conclusions' drawn by the film maker?

Congratulations on all that hard work, Penny.   I'm on a modified Atkins.   A lot easier than your achievment.   In fact, I would say a piece of cake - were it not for the fact that cake is utterly forbidden.   Likewise brioche and bread!

tsaria

Offline gugussey

• View Profile
For the dvd try nationalgeographic.com.   From there try videos.  As far as I know, it hasn't been broadcast in the US ;  only UK.  Also interviewed is William Clarke, "Lost Fortune of the Tsars", a rational mind and a fine writer.

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
How can we get a copy of it in the US??  Anyone in UK willing to tape it for us if it is repeated?  I would be glad to pay expenses and postage.

I want to see Penny and Greg!!  Just kidding.....

Arleen

Offline Decadence

• Boyar
  • She cries for nothing else
    • View Profile
The only GRRR factor was the usual misidentification of the girls, at one point "Maria" was actually Olga, Also, all the girls were misidentified in one photo.

They said Olga was Maria several times and when they were saying "the daughters" or "the children" at one time they showed the picture of Anastasia, Tatiana and Anna Vyrubova on the beach and sort of zoomed in on Anna as if she was one of the children..

It was a good program though.

I can't really believe they hadn't any idea that they had named them incorrectly..
Her irises flash facets
    and they see for nothing else

Offline granduchess_leah

• Graf
    • View Profile
yes they kept pointing to the wrong person  :P some people need to be more careful  and look at photos carefully as it said pictures speak for words  :P

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
I am really looking forward to seeing this documentary.
I did a little research on National Geographic's UK website and found no trace of it though. Is there any rough-ball park-dates for release in North A.?

Olishka~ Pincess

I want to see the doucumentary I never seen it before? I thought I seen a national geographic cover with Nicholas on it I know I seen it somewhere. :)

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
So, I've now seen this documentary and have some conclusions myself:

The first mistake they did was when Alexander Avdonin, Geli Ryabov and others were speaking. Instead of writing subtitles, my preferred method of translation, the English dubbed voice talked over the Russian one. The problem with this I found, was that in editing the documentary, they did not minimize the sound of the Russian voice, so it sounds like two people fighting to speak at the same time. This became a problem for me, because I couldn't understand what either of them were trying to say. I found this disappointing, being they are primary people involved in the bone excavation, I would have liked to hear what they had to say.

The second, is the misidentification of the daughters.This did bother me, as they had countless historians on hand (Penny, Greg, Peter, John, etc) who knew their stuff, they had no excuse to mess-up the identification.

The final thing that made me cringe,was John Klier's comment near the end of the documentary in which he says that people are interested in the Romanov history because it was "sexy".  I know that he made more comments after that, which I do agree with, it's just the word itself made me a little uncomfortable, because I find nothing about the Romanov history sexy.

---------------------

Other then that, it was an interesting documentary.
Just thought I would post my two cents where I can.   ;D