Author Topic: Nicholas and Alexandra, by Robert K. Massie  (Read 35635 times)

Offline Katya90

• View Profile
Re: Nicholas and Alexandra, by Robert K. Massie
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2010, 10:54:22 PM »
Reviving this to ask... does anyone know which facts from this book have since been discredited? I noticed a few errors when I was reading it, but they concerned Olga Alexandrovna's age and wrongly stating that Nicholas wasn't a first-born son (Massie apparently thought Alexander, who died in infancy, was born first). I doubt those were because of soviet security. So, does anyone know any? Just so I'm not carrying around any falsities as truth!

Offline Margot

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2010, 11:27:40 PM »
I still adore this book after all these years!

I read on another thread that Marie Feodorovna had a miscarriage before Nicholas. Whether this is true will have to to be confirmed by someone in the 'know'! I do not remember whether it was actually confirm that the foetus was male or not.

As to other facts that have since been discredited, I am unsure I am afraid as I haven't actually re-read the book for years!

Offline Tasia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2010, 08:55:20 AM »
I love this book! It was the first book that I found in my school's library! I was so happy! xD

Offline bestfriendsgirl

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2011, 03:57:34 PM »
Since this is what started my, um, obsession, I would urge everyone to read this book (I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here).  But for first-time posters, this is THE book!  Actually, Barnes & Noble (www.bn.com) ALWAYS has at least one or two recent editions on their shelves.

Question:  When I started my university studies (and the professor would ask why we were interested in Russian history),  I was always met with a frown or a curt reply from professors when I said I loved Massie's "N&A."  I finally cornered one of them (after I got my grade, of course!), and was told that Massie wasn't "considered" a scholarly writer and that the professor dismissed "N&A" as a piece of "fluff" (HIS term, not mine!).   He went on to state, "I hope by taking my class (on the Revolution) you've realized that Rasputin wasn't the one who caused the fall of Russia!"   >:(

What a jerk.  Anyone else experienced this?
Actually, when I took European history in the summer of 1984, this book was on the list of options for the class book report. I asked the professor if I could do my report on it, but I let slip that I had already read it and he wanted me to read something else ...  :(

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2011, 08:12:07 PM »
I have to be carefully with this book even now because anywhere you open it, it gets you...it's a page turner...how fascinating Massie became interested in the Romanov's because his own son has hemophilia.... He definitely revived interest in them when the book  first  came out. It was a massive best seller and deservedly so....

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline s.v.markov

• Boyar
  • Sergei Vladimirovich Markov
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2011, 05:39:38 AM »
Yes, my first copy dates from 1967 and is now in poor shape as it has been read so often by me and loads of others. Like thousands of people, I was introduced to the Romanov story by this book, and will always be grateful for that....and I recently bought a truly beautiful edition of it, published by the Folio Society of London, large format, high quality paper and photographs, bound in full jacquard blue cloth embossed with the Imperial double-headed eagle and woven by Van Heek Scholco, Holland. And in a slip-case! A luxury, but worth it for me!

Alixz

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2011, 10:09:42 AM »
As to the inaccuracies.  I haven't reread it in years either.  My first copy was a paperback bought with the cover removed.  I know that is supposed to be a "no no" but I didn't know that at the time.  We had a used bookstore called "The Printer's Devil" and I got a lot of great used books and remainders there.

As far as I know, Marie had Nicholas first and he was named for his uncle Nicholas Alexandrovich (Nixa), the son of Alexander II and the brother of Alexander III.  He is the one who died while engaged to Dagmar.

Then there was baby Alexander who died in infancy. (Named I suppose for his grandfather and father)
George
Ksenia
Mikhail
Olga

Alexander III had six children of his marriage with Princess Dagmar of Denmark, also known as Marie Feodorovna.

(NB. all dates prior to 1918 are in Old Style Calendar)

Name Birth Death Notes
Tsar Nicholas II 6 May 1868 17 July 1918 married 1894, Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine; had issue

Grand Duke Alexander Alexandrovich 7 June 1869 2 May 1870  died of meningitis

Grand Duke George Alexandrovich 6 May 1871 9 August 1899  died of tuberculosis; no issue

Grand Duchess Xenia Alexandrovna 6 April 1875 20 April 1960 married 1894, Grand Duke Alexander Mikhailovich Romanov; had issue

Grand Duke Michael Alexandrovich 22 November 1878 c.12 June 1918 married 1912, Natalya Sergeyevna Wulffert; had issue

Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna 13 June 1882 24 November 1960 married first, Peter Friedrich Georg, Duke of Oldenburg; had no issue.
married second, Nikolai Kulikovsky; had issue

Offline RichC

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2011, 03:20:31 PM »
It's nice to see this old thread resurrected.  N&A is such a great book.  I haven't read it in years either, but one minor inaccuracy I recall is that Massie said Empress Alexandra was Queen Victoria's "youngest grandchild".  Not the case, but not a big deal either...

Offline historyfan

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2011, 07:09:15 PM »
It's nice to see this old thread resurrected.  N&A is such a great book.  I haven't read it in years either, but one minor inaccuracy I recall is that Massie said Empress Alexandra was Queen Victoria's "youngest grandchild".  Not the case, but not a big deal either...

Well, it kind of is - it negates all her grandchildren after Alix, some of whom were extremely notable!

Offline Geniebeanie

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2011, 08:48:31 PM »
Do you think that the  book will be available on the kindle any time soon?  I have a hard back copy but would love one on my kindle.

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2011, 10:05:53 PM »
GenieBeanie> I believe you can purchase it for the Kindle here.

Offline Geniebeanie

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
Nicholas And Alexandra
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2011, 10:04:42 PM »
I am so excited, my favorite book on the Romanoffs is going to be availalble on the Kindle at Amazon in June.   This is the book that started my addiction to reading about Nicholas and his family.

Offline bestfriendsgirl

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2011, 07:47:47 AM »
I have to be carefully with this book even now because anywhere you open it, it gets you...it's a page turner...how fascinating Massie became interested in the Romanov's because his own son has hemophilia.... He definitely revived interest in them when the book  first  came out. It was a massive best seller and deservedly so....

Massie didn't just write, he loved. He deeply identified with Nicholas, Alexandra and Alexei and it comes through on every page. And if he came off as a little biased or overly sympathetic toward N and A, well, he opened the door for people to research further and form their own opinons. I will always be grateful to him for introducing me to this lovely, tragic family.

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2011, 04:31:24 AM »
I think what Massie actually meant in his marvellous book was that she was the youngest (surviving) grandchild of her deceased daughter Alices brood

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2011, 07:45:35 PM »
bestfriendsgirl , well said....the bond he shared with N and A , that of being the parent of a child with hemophilia, cannot be over stated . He understood  a very great deal  even before he began his research. I think of this book as Romanov 101....start here ,and as you say, it will lead else where.... Modern interest in the family as we know  it started with Massie's book  imo

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna