Author Topic: Nicholas and Alexandra, by Robert K. Massie  (Read 37210 times)

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Nicholas and Alexandra, by Robert K. Massie
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2011, 04:40:04 PM »
You must remember that Masse wrote Nicholas and Alexandra in the late 1960s and it was published in the early 1970s.

Well, he did a good job considering the limited research material available at the time.
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2011, 10:14:02 PM »
Massie's book started the modern age of interest in the family ....and funny enough the cartoon "Anastasia"  from the 90's is another.

I agree - I'm in the process of reading N & A, and have seen the 90's Anastasia movie. But I wonder: was the 1950's Anastasia movie a landmark in "modern" Romanov history, or was there too little information on the topic back then for people to truly understand the full extent of it???  ;(
Interesting question . The movie( which I enjoy...great cast)  might have done more to generate interest in  Anna Anderson that the family! It''s interesting to look at the 20th century and see when the family was at the for front and when Anna was ...but you know Anna DID kept the memory alive in her way for many years. There was a good number of books in the 20's from those who knew the family and then Anna for decades...and then Massie.. etc  like stepping stones to here

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline feodorovna

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2011, 05:17:55 AM »
If there is room here for yet another Romanov obsessive, one of the greatest joys of my life was standing in the Yussopov palace discussing Massie's N and A with a Russian guide who was as enthralled with it as I. I can fully understand why academics get sneery about it, literary works are not required to stir ones' emotions but who of us was not entirely moved by the plight of that poor mother helplessly watching as her son suffered?

Offline Olga Bernice

• Graf
  • <-*Photo Courtesy: GD Ally*
    • View Profile
    • Colors Of The Rose
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2011, 04:00:44 PM »
...but you know Anna DID kept the memory alive in her way for many years.

Yes, I agree. If it hadn't been for Anna and others like her . . . the Romanovs probably wouldn't be nearly as well-known as they are now, even though I know all the bodies were found and no one survived.

There was a good number of books in the 20's from those who knew the family and then Anna for decades...and then Massie.. etc  like stepping stones to here

Nicholas and Alexandra is indeed also a stepping stone - most of us probably found Nicholas and Alexandra and that's what picqued our interest in the Romanovs.
Mashka . . . Olya . . . Tatya . . . Nastya

Many thanks to Laura Mabee for the banner!!

"We played on the swing, that was when I roared with laughter, the fall was so wonderful! Indeed!"
ANR, May 7, 1918

Offline Archduchess Zelia

• Everyone who isn't us is an enemy.
    • View Profile
    • vesperlynds
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2011, 07:59:55 PM »
I'm about half-way into this and it has really amazed me. Although I've been interested in the Romanov's for years now, I've learned things from this book that I never knew and I'm so happy that my library had it (although I'm pretty sure it's gonna be on my wish list for christmas). I think everyone who still thinks badly about Alexandra should read Nicholas and Alexandra because I, myself, knew that she was an excellent and caring mother but I've always had a feeling that she was a bit cold and icy, but reading this has really changed my POW on her, and I really think she's misunderstood and I kinda feel sorry for her. Ah, nevermind my ramblings, I've just been blown away by the book  :)
Pardon any grammatical errors, English is not my main language.

"Are you sure, dear? You have to reign all afternoon, you know." - HM The Queen Mother, when HM The Queen wanted a second glass of wine with lunch.

Offline Geniebeanie

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
Finally My favorite Book On The Kindle
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
Yesterday I downloaded Nicholas and Alexandra on my Kindle.   I would have posted but had to read the book that started my Romanof addiction all over again.   I only waited three years for this.  I am so happy.   Next month I am ordering Massie's new book on Catherine The Great.